cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM - Examples needed with Tables and Data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to MDM. I just loaded the Console and Data Manager and connected to an MDM server. I am able to create a repository and browse in the Data Manager. However, I want to get some Table examples and data that go along with it. I am looking for a step by step guide to create some good tables and load actual data into it using a flat file or XML.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You can try out this simple example

Assume a Material scenario. Try doing following tables in MDM repository

main table: Material

lookup table (of type taxonomy)- Industry type

lookup table (flat look up) - material Description

lookup table (flat look up) - material group

Refer standard R/3 tables like MARA, MAKT etc. Try to find their join relationships in R/3 so as relate it with look up table. Add releavant fields to respected tables.

Then execute a simple scenario by importing 2-3 records from flat/excel/xml file(Create a small file). If everything is in place, Import manager will import these records into repository.

To understand MDM further try to export the same records by using syndicator

Reference guides will provide you with the procedures of doing all the things

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mugdha,

Thank you for your response. I will try to do this example. However when I create a new repository, the Main table being created by default is 'Products" and I cannot change the name of it. Also I do not have any SAP R/3 system reference or lookup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a good document on doing some matching / merging tasks with the data manager:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/40ef0099-b18d-2910-26ad-9ea57450...

Good place to start

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

By default main table is created with name "Products". However you can change this name. Just confirm these are the steps that you are following to change the name of main table.

Click on your repository name from console hierarchy pane. All tables will be listed in the upper right pane. Select main table Products. Change the name of table from Tables Detail Pane by editing Name of table.

<i>I do not have any SAP R/3 system reference or lookup.</i>

--->

If this is so then assume some common database system say employee and try executing a scenario. Assume tabels and fields

Hope this helps

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

MDM Repository Structure:-

-

Table Types in MDM Repository

1.Only one main Table.(Default name is Products)

2.Sub Tables

Lookup Sub tables are just one of the powerful ways that MDM enforces Data integrity in an MDM repository.

(Parent - Child Relationships)

3.Object Tables

It is special type of Lookup Subtables.It includes the images ,Sounds,Videos,Binary objects,Text Blocks,Copy Blocks,Text HTMLs and PDFs.You cannot store any object dirctly to the Repository.Instead ,each object is defined or imported into the repository once then linked to a main or subtable field as a lookup into the object table of that type.

[Object Tables eliminate redunt information ,since each object appears only once in the MDM repository even if it is linked in multiple records.]

4.Special Tables

Special Tables include Image variants,Masks,Families,Relationships,Work Flows,Named Searchs,Data Groups and Validation Group Tables.

[Data Groups and Validation Group Tables are does not exist in the MDM Repository.]

5.System Tables

-

System Table appear under the Admin Node in the console Hierarchy include roles,Users,Connections,Change Tracking,Remote Systems,Portas,Links..etc.

Creating Look up table.

-

1.Create Lookup Table(Type as Hierarchy,Taxonomy,Qualifier)

2.Add a Field in Main table

3.Set the type(Hierarchy,taxonomy,Qualifier lookup)

4.You need to enter or map the lookup table name and field.

5.When ever u add new record in the Lookuptable,You can able to use that lookup data in the Main Table Record creation.

I donot have software with me ,otherwise i would have given screenshot to u.

For further info, U can refer Console reference Guide.

Best Regards

Devaraj PK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Narasimham,

As part of the Discovery System Team's efforts to give hands-on exercises (including repositories, check table data, and record data), a list of exercises can be found at https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/webcontent/uuid/62509489-0d01-0010-80a6-f9a32... [original link is broken] [original link is broken] with <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20dccb3f-c784-2910-2e8b-bb642caa5bc3">downloadable MDM files for this exercise.</a>

I believe you will find these exercises most helpful.

Kristin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Narasimham,

Please refer to the below 3 Blogs by Harrison Holland.

/people/harrison.holland5/blog/2006/11/27/mdm-syndication

/people/harrison.holland5/blog/2006/12/20/xi-configuration-for-mdm-integration--sample-scenario

/people/harrison.holland5/blog/2007/01/22/testing-and-monitoring-an-interface-between-mdm-xi

All the three Blogs give you step by step instructions to transfer data to and from MDM. Hope you have access to SAP and XI. Then data is not a problem.

Thanks,

Satyanarayana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satya,

Thank you for your response. However I do not have an XI hook up into my MDM currently. I will try to load some basic records with an Excel sheet.