cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC6 and Veritas Volume Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all. Can you please let me know if SAP ECC6 has certain requirements with regards to Veritas Volume Manager? ... more importantly, does SAP ECC6 play nicely with Veritas Volume Manager 4.x ?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi

SAP is agnostic wrt things like volume manager or file system. Using Veritas LVM and/or file system is pretty much standard for the proprietary Unixes. As Veritas is a proprietary product with kernel modules not published under GPL, using this in Linux systems is not supported by SAP ( we do not support our software in such cases, see note 784391). If you want to make really sure, you can contact your database vendor. But Veritas is a reliable partner to all db vendors relevant for SAP.

Regards

Manfred Stein

Ps: RAC environments are different, as explained by Markus. Veritas appears to be the natural choice for RAC on HP-UX.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If we knew, what operating system you are running on, we could tell

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey there... the last time I posted to this board, I forgot the OS version as well! lol oops!!

We are running Solaris 9 and Veritas Volume Manager 4.0.

Thanks again!

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

lol - I remember - and the two notes I gave your there are still actual:

Note 527843 - Oracle RAC support in the SAP environment

[...]

Solaris/SPARC:

Controlled Availability.

RAC (9.2/10.2) on SUN Hardware:

• SUN Cluster 3.x (x higher or equal to 2)+ SUN QFS 4.x (x higher or equal to 5) or

• Veritas 'Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC 4.x'.

RAC (9.2/10.2) on Fujitsu Siemens Hardware:

• PrimeCluster + Network Appliance NFS or

• Veritas 'Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC 4.x'.

[...]

Note 999524 - Oracle 10.2 platform support for Async IO

[...]

Veritas VxFS with Quick IO

[...]

So yes - it is supported (even if you don't plan to use RAC).

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah excellent thanks... as I remembered that from your first post, but 'we don't use RAC' .... so your "So yes - it is supported (even if you don't plan to use RAC)." put that doubt to rest!

Thanks yet again.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you ever plan to upgrade to Solaris 10, checkout ZFS (instead of VXFS), MUCH simpler to administer.

Here's comparision "Solaris ZFS and Veritas Storage Foundation File System Performance" at <a href="http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/jsp/descFile.jsp?url=descAll/solaris_zfs_and_ver">http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/jsp/descFile.jsp?url=descAll/solaris_zfs_and_ver</a>