cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI UDS - Installation Best practices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all:

Per the installation guide the only requirement is to have the PI API installed on the same box as the UDS.

I have the following questions on installing the UDS Framework & PI UDS. Appreciate your answers:

1) Can this be installed on the xMII server with along with the PI API/SDK?

2) Can this be installed on any machine with the PI API/SDK installed?

3) What operating systems does it work with and Is a server class machine a requirement?

4) If the only option is to install this on the PI server, are there memory or CPU requirements to runs this?

5) What is the expected network data packet size and frequency? I’m assuming this is a background task that continually runs.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinivasan,

here is a good artical (if I do say so myself) on the different landscape options.

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/60faf36c-7702-2a10-e5a0-c6835997aa6f">Where to position the xMII Universal Data Server (xMII UDS) in your Landscape and Why.</a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin,

Thanks a lot for the info! This really helps...

We are planning to introduce OLE DB connection from xMII to PI in one of the requirements.

In the PROTOCOL SELECTION selection for OSIsoft PI, per the document -

"There are two main methods of connecting to OSIsoft PI Module Database from the xMII UDSs: Using the xMII PI UDS (version 4.0 or newer) or xMII OLE DB UDS and the OSIsoft PI OLE DB Provider."

1) Do you recommend using xMII OLE DB UDS or OSIsoft PI OLE DB for connecting xMII to PI? Any advantages of one over the other? Based on our earlier experience in other projects, the xMII OLE DB proved to be very unstable.

2) What is the latest version of xMII OLE DB UDS? Anyway, I am unable to see it in the SAP market place.

Request your advice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinivasan,

1.) I would highly recommend the native connections vs OLEDB is every case where you can get to the data you require from the native xMII UDS. The only reasons you would favor the OLEDB UDS is in cases where you can not retrieve the data from the native xMII UDS.

As for the instabilities, we feel that we have resolved all the issues in the upcoming release, but if you still find a situation where the xMII UDS fails, please send in a support case and the appropriate fixes will be done.

The current known issues with the 4.0.2.5 xMII OLEDB UDS are as follows.

- Unicode characters are not always correctly handled.

- Administrative modes are not accessible.

- Other smaller minor fixes.

- The connection string dialog is populated and encoded correctly.

2) Currently the new xMII UDSs are in Acceptance Testing and there is no access to the xMII OLEDB UDS. We are all trying very hard to get this through the process as quickly as possible, but with testing resource issues, it may still take some time.

Martin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) Can this be installed on the xMII server with along with the PI API/SDK?

Yes it can as long as the xMII server has the right resources (a healthy RAM & a processor)

2) Can this be installed on any machine with the PI API/SDK installed?

Yes.

3) What operating systems does it work with and Is a server class machine a requirement?

As per the help UDS framework has some reservations with NT 4.0. Anything beyond that should be allrite.

4) If the only option is to install this on the PI server, are there memory or CPU requirements to runs this?

As you can see that is not the only option. Still if you want to do that refer to 3) above.

No comments on 5). I think it will depend upon how frequently xMII needs to talk to PI.

Hope this helps