SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP IS-HER implementation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am a new entrant in this community. Could you pls. guide me:

Does the SAP IS-HER need any of the SAP modules implemented in the university or can be implemented as an standalone application?

If yes, could you pls. specify which are the mandatory modules of SAP R/3 or ECC/ SAP Poratl/ SAP Netweaver !

As I read in documents, it doesnot take care of Housing/ Teacher's Recruitment/ Financial Aid/Library Management within itself, but takes care of entire Student life cycle.The document was based on info of 2003, is it still a constraint?

Do we really need to install SAP CRM for taking care of student/ Alumni relations?

Thanks and regards

Raj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

@Ramesh: the documentation on SAP Student Lifecycle Management (Campus Management;-) is actually available in the online help documentation that you refer Raj to. As it is part of the Enterprise Core Component you find it right there. Just follow this link:

https://help.sap.com/ -> SAP ERP -> ERP CC Enhancement Package 1 -> Campus Management.

@Raj and all: Our team found Raj's question quite interesting and created a blog to answer it. I have just posted it and would appreciate some comments;-)

Thanks,

Tina

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

hnmuralidhara
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

SAP IS-HER address following points;

<b>Campus Management (IS-HER-CM)</b>

A controlled process used to monitor and valuate the academic work which a student must complete to successfully complete the module, study segment, or program.

An assessment is described in several process steps:

1. Scheduled assessment

2. Registration for and admission to the assessment

3. Planning and preparation

4. Execution

5. Follow-up (valuation)

<b>Student Accounting (IS-HER-CM-AC)</b> This component enables you to:

1.Calculate tuition fees, define different fee calculation periods, perform automatic calculations

2.Manually correct the calculated result

3.Distribute revenues to the different Controlling objects of CO account assignment

4.Execute a flexible fee calculation test run at any time

5.Manage and evaluate grants, exchange grant information between the SAP System and an external system Post accounting documents for students and sponsors

6.Allow students to pay fees by payment card

For more details, check out following URL;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_pserv472/helpdata/EN/37/8cac365d8bc341e10000009b38f839/frameset.htm

Bye,

Muralidhara

0 Kudos

Hi Mr.Muralidhara ,

Thanks a lot for your input.

I am sorry, it seems, I could not make my question clear. Its related to the product.Do the University need to implement any other module of SAP(ie.HCM/MM/CRM/FICO) if they wish to implement Campus Management or can it be implemented as an independent solution/module?

If it is not independent, which modules are mandatory?

Thanks once again for your reply.

Raj.

0 Kudos

Dear Raj,

SAP Modules are honeycomb structure. At any point of time depending upon your business requirements…you can implement other modules like CRM, SRM, APO so on.

Bye,

Muralidhara

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your question, Raj. We decided to write a blog to address the different topics you mention. I will write a short note in the forum when we have published it...

Regards,

Tina

0 Kudos

That would be really great help, Tina, Thanks a lot.

Infact I tried exploring lot on net, but there is no clarity about <b>where to begin</b>?

I got the idea of Campus Management features in general, but when I reffered I found almost every university had implemented all or atleast few modules ---HR/MM/CRM/FICO. Which made me bit confused that if a university does not want to enter in implementation cost and time for all other modules, can they still go ahead with Campus Management.

Your Blog in this matter will help to lot more consultants who want to enter in this field.We would be waiting for that.

Thanks to Murlidhara also for his inputs.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raj for your questions and interest.

SAP Student Lifecycle Management (SLCM) - formerly known as SAP Campus Management - can be implemented on its own.

There is no mandatory modules per se, except for SAP SLCM which is already a standard industry application. E.g. you need SAP Portal if you want to use student or faculty self-services. By the way, the lastest version of SLCM will be SAP ERP 6.0.

There are many good stand alone solutions for campuses like Financial Aid, Library Management, Housing, and since it is also SAP's policy to work with partners offering niche solutions, we do not intend to replicate such solutions within our standard offering. Instead, these solutions are powered by SAP Netweaver. Adoption of these niche solutions differ by countries.

With regards to Student's Recruitment, Alumni Management, we are recommending SAP CRM if the customers require end-to-end CRM functionality.

Regards

Guat Hoon LEE

Business Development Manager, Public Services Hub, APJ

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm Ramesh and in a small way am involved in Campus Management.I was part of the team that implemented Campus Management at ISB-India.

Raj,coming to your question on whether you require implementation of any other modules for IS-HER,it seems necessary that you would require them to make the best use of the product.

For example,Universities would have to maintain various departments and this is well done in HR-Organisation Management.If master data of the faculty -both visiting as well as permanent-is to be maintained,you need to do it in HR-Personnel Administration.In any other senario,the entire master data cannot be captured and universities would generally want to capture all available data...whether it is logically required or not.Thus HR becomes a very important module for Campus Management.Similarly there are many such scenarios.

As Lee has stated,HER does not have as a standard certain functionalities that are core to any university like library and also attendance facility.This is something which needs to be looked into.For this you might require a third party solution and then get it integrated with SAP.

0 Kudos

Hi LEE & Ramesh,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

What I could understand that although it is not mandatory to implement, it is helpful for the University to implement HCM & CRM.

Or in other words, we can say that this application is now available to fill a gap of "Student Life Cycle Management", if some university is planning to go for seamless & integrated automation for the complete operations.

Do we have any list of SAP compatible 3rd party solutions, which need to be add on even for maintaining Student life cycle in India and otherwise?

Thanks once again for very useful inputs.

Regards,

Raj

0 Kudos

If your query is whether SAP IS-HER requires any third party software to be imlemented,then the answer is that it is NO.In this sense it is a stand-alone.

However,there are third party softwares which can be easily integrated with SAP and one that comes to my mind right away is Blackboard.Infact SAP has entered into an agreement with them 'to accelerate innovation of business processes for higher education institutions'.Refer the foll.

link:http://www.sap.com/industries/highered/newsevents/press.epx?pressid=6837

The other third party software which i understand is widely used is VTLS ( Visionary Technology in Library Solutions).SAP might be able to integrate solutions such as these esp. now that we work on the Netweaver platform.

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your reply, Ramesh. Your answers are really helpful.

Do we have any SAP Training modules for Campus Management? I could not see anyone in the list.

Regards,

Raj

0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

SAP does conduct training for HER during which they give the study material.I would'nt be the best person to answer this...probably Tina Bach,Lee or anyone in the SAP Education dept. would be able to help you.Check out the SAP site.

Otherwise,the BEST way to learn is help.sap.com. Have an SAP Campus Management enabled system and keep working on the same concurrently.As of now,help.sap has the documentation of Release 4.72 and not ECC 6.0.But that should not matter much.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

@Ramesh: the documentation on SAP Student Lifecycle Management (Campus Management;-) is actually available in the online help documentation that you refer Raj to. As it is part of the Enterprise Core Component you find it right there. Just follow this link:

https://help.sap.com/ -> SAP ERP -> ERP CC Enhancement Package 1 -> Campus Management.

@Raj and all: Our team found Raj's question quite interesting and created a blog to answer it. I have just posted it and would appreciate some comments;-)

Thanks,

Tina

0 Kudos

Thanks Tina.

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot to Tina/ Ramesh & Lee for answering the queries and blog.

Regards

Raj

0 Kudos

Hello all,

It was really a good trail of messages and a blog to clarify the most fundamental, but confusing questions for almost everybody who wants to enter into HER domain.

Yes, Help link, which Tina mentioned is good for enhancing knowledge, but do we have any other books or material available anywhere?

Moreover, I was wondering, if we have any Best Practices for HER?

Being in Education Industry for few years and now in SAP, I am sure that this domain has tremendous potential, however there are still lot of knowledge gaps.

Appreciate Raj for bringing up these questions and thanks a lot to Tina/Ramesh for blog and answers.

Thanks and regards,

Devendra

0 Kudos

Hi All...

From what I understand to fully utilize SLCM, I would need the below landscape

SAP ERP

SAP EP

SAP CRM

My question is which system would have the most load? Thanks!