cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java standalone application & JDBC on WAS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd like in connecting a standalone java application (swing based) with a data model defined on a Dictionary Project. Normally, steps involved are:

• remote access to J2EE server JNDI for a resource lookup;

• cast to the appropriate concrete object, in my case it's a DataSource;

• establish a connection for communicate with data provider.

How can I carry out such a task in a WAS environment? I'd like to be figured out about documentation and articles.

Thank you in advance

Pasquale

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Pasquale,

Please go through thread. Read all posts carefully and I'm sure you'll find the answers to all your questions there.

Hope that helps,

Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I have already seen the post you pointed me, but problem has not been solved, so it helps in seeking for right jar to include, but still connection can not be established.

Afterall, what I'd like to do is a trivial task in commons j2ee application servers as tomcat or jboss ...

• import some j2ee client libs, if EJBs are used

• import JDBC db driver, if needed

that's all.

I think (suppose) it's just a few jars to include, but the tons of documentation about was does not explain clearly how to do.

I tried with the above cited post, and it raised a chain of

• raise an exception

• seek for right jar to include

• test the connection

very, very tedious!

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lucas,

It is not as trivial as you make it sound. In order to be able to use the lookup capabilities of the Context from the J2EE environment you need a few things:

a) a J2EE client to the server. Each Server environment has its own way of starting a J2EE client and it requires a number of jars and libraries on the classpath....

b) for all resources needed by the client to be defined as environment references (java:comp/env...). I suggest you look this part up as it may be defined as such in the deployment descriptor of the J2EE client app....

Enjoy