cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Console connectivity to SQL Server 2005 Express on Vista Ultimate

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I try to connect MDM Console to Database, I am getting the error "The Server is no longer responding". Any suggestions on how to fix this is appriciated.

Environment:

MDM [5.5.40.83]

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express [2005.090.3042.00]

OS [Windows Vista Ultimate]

Thanks

vara vegesine

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

Are you getting this error with any operation? If so, this problem may be occurring because ICMP Ping operations are prohibited by your server. The Console attempts to verify its connection to MDS by using two methods (the latter of which is ICMP Ping, and will result in the error message that you're seeing). By default I believe Windows Vista prohibits ICMP Ping because of the "denial of service"-types of attacks that can occur when this protocol is enabled.

If you download and install 5.5 SP5 Patch 1, the Console in that version no longer uses ICMP Ping to verify connectivity.

Regards,

Cleopatra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using MDM SP5 5.5.40.83. Is this SP05 patch 01. I enabled ICMP in WIndos Firewall but the problem still persists.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

5.5.40.xx is SP5 (Patch "0"). SP5 Patch 1 is named 5.5.41.xx.

Because of the way security has been enhanced in Windows Vista, it may be possible that a software-based ICMP ping is still being prohibited by something other than the Windows Firewall. Out of curiosity, did you try pinging the server from a command prompt?

If possible, please upgrade to Patch 1 and let us know if you're still having problems. If Patch 1 does not fix the problem, I would ask that you file an OSS message so we can pursue the issue offline.

Thank you!

Cleopatra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will try this and update the post

Answers (0)