cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Xeon Windows 64 Bit : Which Oracle software Version?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

we have Windows Enterprise Server SP2 <b>64 bit</b> with <b>Intel Xeon</b> processor and would like to install the SOLMAN with Oracle.

According to the original Oracle-DVD from SAP there are only three possible choise entries:

a) AMD64

b) IA64

c) I386

But I have the feeeling it should be one choice like "x86" is not?

Which one should we apply?

The I386 can be installed indeed, but we are getting the error during the SAPINST-Installation "Oracle software not installed". I thought this entry was only for 32 bit?

The IA63 Bit can not be installed.

<b>Only the AMD64 we could install. But the question is, whether AMD is the same to Intel Xeon?</b>

Thank you very much for any useful help/comments...

regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have still a "32-bit" platform ONLY.

1. Intel 64 is not AMD64, they are different. AMD64 implementation is only meant for AMD processors although the family is 64T support, full implementation is NOT done.

2. Your assumption of x86 is correct. You MUST go for I386 option ONLY !!!

3. Error of "Oracle software not installed" is different and you should not relate it to hardware. It is only for the environment variables and registry.. This will happen even in normal case..

Once again, you should NOT use AMD64 and IA64.. Try only with I386 option..

BTW, firstly, whats the reason for you to choose a 64-bit o/s that are meant for 64 - bit Itanium systems... CHoose a operating system that fits and will work with SAP optimally!

You should only choose a 32 Bit Enterprise edition of operating system. Windows Server 2003 R2 well works in your case and should be your choice !!

Finally your combination should be -

1. Windows 32 Bit Enterprise Edition R2 ---> O/s

2. i386 DVD -

> SAP/ Oracle DB

Hope this helps, revert for queries

Cheers,

Senthil

Former Member
0 Kudos

would have help you to give the right answer:

>>>we have Windows Enterprise Server SP2 64 bit with Intel Xeon processor and would like to install the SOLMAN with Oracle.

this is definitely no 32 Bit operating system.

just a privat lesson:

Intel has currently different not compatible 64 Bit architectures: Itanium(2) also called IA64 and XEON EM64T.

Intels Xeon processors with EM64T extension are binary compatible to AMD64.

AMD64 = EM64T = X64 = X86_64

Therefore AMD64 is the right version on SAP's database CD.

As far as I know Intel does no longer procude 32 Bit only Server CPUs.

Peter

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Hi!

>

> we have Windows Enterprise Server SP2 64 bit

> with Intel Xeon processor and would like to

> install the SOLMAN with Oracle.

>

> According to the original Oracle-DVD from SAP there

> are only three possible choise entries:

> a) AMD64

> b) IA64

> c) I386

AMD64 is the correct one.

IA64 is "Intel Itanium-2"

I386 is generic "Intel Pentium (32bit)"

AMD64 is the generic term for processors supporting EM64T (Intel) or AMD Opteron

And additionally: XEON does not autmatically mean, it's 64bit, XEON is a special processor with more cache than usual Pentium processors, the difference between 32bit and 64bit is not the XEON but the processor flags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon

"Xeon chips generally have more cache and support larger multiprocessor configurations than their desktop counterparts."

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

install IA64.

thanks

ajai