"Unable to modify database"

Can anyone plz guide me on the same

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks All.

As suggested the error was occuring indeed due to limited space on the Oracle server.

We deleted few of the unused repositories and were then able to perform all the actions like duplicating, creating new repositories.

Thanks!

Rgds,

Ketan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katen,

Please look in the Server...xml log file for any messages that may relate to the failure. In particular, look for any errors that contain the string "ORA-".

Thanks,

DaveP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ketan, there are two reason of this,

1) Ask your DBA to check tablespace name in oracle

2) Check your MDM mount point( I mean check the utilization of space for Data and index path--DBA can check this....)

While you are trying to create a duplicate repository, MDM try to create datapath, indexpath and scema file for that repository in oracle, but because of less space and wrong table name space, it is not allowing you to do so. If you will check in server log file, u will find server file i.e. Server@@xxx ... you will find 3-4 ORA errors. This errors are related to space and tablename. Check your server log file under LOG folder and let me know...

Regards,

Ronak

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running on Oracle 9.2

Do let me know what can be done...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ketan,

I'm still trying to sort out what the problem could be... Have you verified that there is sufficient available disk space on both the machine running Oracle and the machine running MDS? Have you verified that the Oracle client version is the same as the Oracle server version? Have you tried logging into the Oracle database directly using the username and password that you use through the Console, to make sure it is still valid?

Thanks!

-Cleopatra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm running on Oracle DBMS...

Any idea on the solution with respect to Oracle???

Former Member
0 Kudos

This problem has started to arise when we upgraded from SP04 to SP05...

On your advice have tried ...

Verifying and repairing the repository

Unmounting and mounting the repository

Changing the current DBMS settings to blank (so that it takes the default)

Is there any changes to made in mds.ini in SP05???

the same error message "Unable to modify database" occurs while duplicating, creating, unarchiving repository!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ketan,

Are you running on SQL Server? If so, is it set up with named instances or default instances? I ran across a similar issue when doing the upgrade with SQL set up with named instances. Reloaded with default instances and the problem was resolved.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ketan,

I'm not sure what you mean by setting the DBMS settings to blank... in mds.ini? This used to work in the Console when using SQL Server, but now by default it's disabled (but if you're trying this in the Console, you'd get an error right away on the mount/create/duplicate screen).

I assume the verify/repair found no errors? Have you tried archiving and unarchiving the repository? It's a cheesy way to do a Duplicate operation -- maybe it will help you in the short term while we figure out what's going on (unless you can't unarchive because of the same error).

Are you using the administrator user (I think in Oracle it's called System) or a user that you created yourself? Is it a user that MDS/Console proposed to create for you when you first used this Oracle DBMS? (That would've been a long time ago, since you're upgrading from SP4 -- this user is fine, but one that you may have created yourself may not have all the right permissions.)

Could you please post the version number you're using, so I can find out if there are any known issues? Also, please make sure the version of the Oracle client on the machine that is running MDS is up-to-date with respect to the Oracle server (assuming they are not the same machine).

I will also do further investigation about the error in the log. Thank you for your patience; we will do everything we can to get you up and running as soon as possible!

Cleopatra

Former Member
0 Kudos

As mentioned in the console guide, if you set the "DBMS settings" of a repository to blank it takes default DBMS settings. Have tried that too.

Yes, cant unarchive or even create a new repository because of the same error.

I'm using the master user for Oracle DBMS which we used for earlier versions too.

MDM version: 5.5.40.83

Basically getting the same error while performing any of the following actions:

>Duplicate

>Slave

>Create

>Unarchive

Do you suggest anything on the DBMS Settings?

Currently they are as follows:

Data Path: blank/unset

Index Path: blank/unset

Default Partion:1

Temp table space name: TEMP

Will any settings/changes made in the mds.in file help?

Former Member
0 Kudos

What version of Oracle are you using? Have you verified that the Oracle client is the same version as the Oracle server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Following is the error message from the log in console that is getting registered while trying to create the duplicate repository:(The username and password is correct, as we are able to move to the next screen after entering the same.)

2007/07/10 05:10:09.651 GMT

Assertion failed. false

File name: .\Oracle_DBConnection.cpp

Line number: 2472

664 2007/07/10 06:59:01.347 GMT Error: UniqueC_11_21 accelerator, failed to Get file length, or length < crc size

664 2007/07/10 07:00:19.173 GMT Assertion failed. false

File name: .\XCatDBCopy.cpp

Line number: 2155

Message was edited by:

Ketan Phanse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ketan,

Have you run the "Verify" command on the repository to see if it contains any fatal errors?

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ketan,

The username and password of the target repository are determined by the dialog that you mentioned in your post -- and, as you said, those are correct as you were able to move on to the next screen. However, the username and password of the source repository are stored in MDS.ini, therefore it is possible to be in a situation where the repository looks like it's mounted, but when you attempt an operation that causes MDS to use the stored database username and password, it can fail if the database username/password has been changed or somehow got corrupted. This is why I had suggested that you try unmounting and re-mounting the source repository, then try the duplicate operation again; it would eliminate a bad stored DBMS username/password on the source repository as the cause of the issue.

All this being said, the error that you indicate in your post does sound like something is not quite right with the repository itself; Tim's idea to run verify/repair is a good one. Please let us know the results of this operation.

Regards,

Cleopatra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ketan,

This error might be occurring if the source repository has a bad DBMS password. Try unmounting the source repository and re-mounting it, then attempt the duplicate operation again. Let me know if this works; if it does not, please look in the Server logs to see if there is more information about the error, and post a reply so we can continue to try to help.

Thanks!

-Cleopatra