cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared memory error with jcmon

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I attempt to launch jcmon.bat and access local administration, I get the following error:

ERROR => Can't attach to administration shared memory (rc=3) [jcmonxx.c 219]

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure that server0 is not running, but since I can't log into the Visual Administrator or jcmon I don't know for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (11)

Answers (11)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perform the following steps with sidadm user

1. stopsap all

2. cleanipc <inst.no> remove (if double stack do it for both abap instance number and java instane number).

3. startsap all

hope this helps you.

Thanks

Narsing

Former Member
0 Kudos

this issue is easy to resolve.

check which profile is used and cleanup with "-c" of jcontrol:

jcontrol pf=/sapmnt/<sid>/profile/<sid>_JC<no>_<server> -c

Best regards

Michael

former_member198540
Participant
0 Kudos

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER!!!

THNXZ !!! AND REGARDS!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

This same error occured in our production server and when I was checking lates trace files i found that it's because of a porta which SAP is using was occupied by another service (port 3301) so SAP cannot bound that port . I have restarted the whole server and then try to start services then i was able to start the successfully.

Try these steps and check

Thanks,

Shanaka.

danny_deroovere
Participant
0 Kudos

You need to specify the profile of the ABAP instance in case of ABAP/JAVA, the others will result in the error mentioned in the initial posting.

BR - Danny

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are restarting the BI-Java stack when i encounter this problem, what we did is issue a cleanipc <system_no> remove then stop sap... then database... then start db manually and listener and lastly start sap... and it works.

i hope this helps.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Justin,

Can you post the dev_jcontrol log file for more details about the error.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Justin and all,

I got this problem of mine resolved resolved working with a colleague and we have been at it for 3 days now.

do the below and the problem will dissapear

What we did was

1) We de-installed the JDK 1.4.2_10 and reinstalled 1.4.2_11. If you are installing on windows 32 bit, you need JDK 1.4.2_11

2) Check via java - version that the java version for JDK 1.4.2_11 is being used

If not edit your 'path' system environment variable. Also change the vm home parameter found in the ABAP instance profile and give it the correct path

3) If you already have the right JDK, then the most important step is next.

When you can see sapinst retrying saying trying to start j2ee, then it reports 'stopping', then again trying to start. When this is happening, go to your MMC and just stop the SCS (Central services Instance) and start it back up. DO NOT STOP the abap instance, only stop the SCS and start the SCS immediately. In our case when we did this, immediately to our delight we saw the sapinst progressed and the J2EE engine started and went on the post steps and finally the 'successful insallation' scree, Phew !!!. I guess the sapinst requires the SCS services to be down momentarily when the it tries to bring up the the J2EE engine (java server process).

regards, Vikram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

jcmon.exe pf=I:usrsapVIKSYSprofileVIK_DVEBMGS00_VIKLAB

You will find the below, see the server0 is stopped. Thats what is not starting in our case, and that is the j2ee engine I suppose. Because the dispatcher and the SDM starts as can be seen. If you attempt to restart the process from the jcom administration menu, it wont because if it did then we would not have this problem in the first place. The sapinst tool is calling this.

============================================================

JControl Monitor Program - Main Menue

============================================================

0 : exit

-

10 : Cluster Administration Menue

-

20 : Local Administration Menue

-

command =>

-

SAP System Name : VIK

SAP System : 00

MS Host : VIKLAB

MS Port : 3601

Process Count : 3

PID of JControl : 1116

State of JControl : Some processes running

State inside MS : Some processes running

Run Mode : Normal Mode

Admin URL :

-

Idx

Name

PID

State

Error

Restart

---

dispatcher

Running

yes

server0

Stopped

no

SDM

Running

yes

-

I think the problem here seems to be the wrong JDK version.

Take this very seriously. I think this might save days of trouble,

SAP faces installation problem if you have an SDK/JDK lesser than 1.4.2_11. I did not take this very seriously and have 1.4.2_10 but then this thread below clearly says that there are problem with installations when you use 1.4.2_10. Useful for guys stuck in the same hole. This might be the reason why the java server process does not start while the java dispatcher and SDM starts.

The link for this JDk recommendation thread is

"SAP J2EE-DEP 6.40 certification - JDK requirements "

==>

So please adhere to the following:

Linux 32 Bit + 64 Bit (Itanium)

Windows 32 Bit + 64 Bit (Itanium)

Access to appropriate Sun J2SE Version:

Please use Sun J2SE 1.4.2_09 SDK (or higher 1.4.2 versions after they will become available).

It is not recommended to use versions lower than 1.4.2_09.

Please also do not use J2SE 5.0.

In contrast to the recommendation above please do not use J2SE 1.4.2_10 as it has problems during installation. The problem is under investigation.

The J2SE 1.4.2 SDK is available from

http://java.sun.com .

regards, Vikram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I had the same error and it was just an stupid error in our case which I did want to share (you'll never know it might be the same problem in your case).

the reason that jcmon gives the error 'Can't attach to administration shared memory' is very logical. When the J2EE server hasn't started, jcmon can't reach its shared memory since it isn't there. Therefore this error does not mean anything else then look further why the j2ee server didn't start. The problem in our case was however that all the j2ee logs weren't filled so without error messages it will be difficult to solve the problem. And since the Abap system did startup succesfully I didn't had to look it those logs.

Finally after one day of irritation we found our reason. We changed something in the Abap Profiles, it is still unsure how it happend but with the change to the profile, the entries for STARTING the j2ee server disappeared. This way the j2ee server will never start, jcmon will only give errors because of this and the other log files will not be filled since they are not called!

The entries I am talking about are, for example: ms/server_port_0

jstartup/instance_properties

SDM_PROPERTIES

INSTANCE_PROPERTIES

jstartup/vm/home

exe/jlaunch

jstartup/protocol

jstartup/trimming_properties

icm/HTTP/j2ee_0

rdisp/frfc_fallback

rdisp/j2ee_timeout

rdisp/j2ee_start

rdisp/j2ee_start_control

rdisp/start_icman

If these are missing in your system, then that is the problem for sure. To solve the problem you have to logon to an working system and check the parameters there and adjust them to you parameters. If you have any questions, please feel free to mail me at nico.van.der.linden@logicacmg.com.

Hope this is usefull for you guys!

Kind regards,

Nico van der Linden...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nico van der Linden: thank you very much for your help.

Your answer help me to found the note:

Note 741289 - Profile parameters of the J2EE engine are lost

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am facing the exact same problem when installing the JAVA addin to the NW04 ABAP stack.

dev_Jcmon reporting "Can't open shared memory administration (rc=3)". Also the jcmon.exe.log in the \programfiles\sapinst... directory gives the error as well.

My jstartup/vm/home parameter in the ABAP instance profile is correctly set to the right JAVA_HOME.

Also the sapinst log provides

==>

Output of I:\usr\sap/VIK/DVEBMGS00/j2ee/os_libs/jcmon.exe 'pf=I:\usr\sap\VIK\SYS\profile/VIK_DVEBMGS00_VIKLAB' is written to the logfile jcmon.exe.log

ERROR 2007-01-14 14:16:18

CJSlibModule::writeError_impl()

CJS-20057 Starting J2EE Engine DVEBMGS00 of SAP system VIK failed: after 21 seconds the state of the engine changed from "Stopping" to "Stopped".

TRACE [iaxxejsbas.hpp:270]

EJS_Base::dispatchFunctionCall()

JS Callback has thrown std::ESAPinstJSError: ind-rel.ind-os.ind-db.j2ee-eng.engineStartBadState

<==

I will be investigating into this further, and pasting logs and other stuff. Also I shall today also check out Nicos's lead on missing profile values. Are we sure that we dont need to upgrade the java related kernel files ? . I shall return back to this thread shortly after my latest trials to get over this agony 😐

regards, Vikram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Note 741289 fixed my issue as well. Basically, all of the j2ee parameters per this note were wiped out (for no apparent reason; the note does not explain very well how the parameters just get wiped out). We had already completed multiple restarts with no previous issue. Anyway, this was a new server installation (J2EE add-on), so when this happened I did not have a full backup completed. So I manually added the NW2004s parameters (in the note) by cutting and pasting from another system's RZ10 parameters.

(I found the j2ee/instance_id number from the keydb.xml file in the j2ee add-on installation directory)

icm/HTTP/j2ee_0 PREFIX=/,HOST=localhost,CONN=0-500,PORT=5$$00

rdisp/frfc_fallback on

rdisp/j2ee_timeout 600

exe/j2ee $(DIR_EXECUTABLE)/jcontrol$(FT_EXE)

rdisp/j2ee_libpath $(DIR_EXECUTABLE)

rdisp/j2ee_start 1

rdisp/j2ee_start_control 1

j2ee/instance_id ID2224963

j2ee/dbdriver /oracle/client/10x_64/instantclient/ojdbc14.jar

jstartup/instance_properties $(jstartup/j2ee_properties):$(jstartup/sdm_properties

jstartup/release 700

jstartup/trimming_properties off

jstartup/protocol on

jstartup/vm/home /usr/java14_64

jstartup/max_caches 500

ms/server_port_0 PROT=HTTP,PORT=81$$

Edited by: Russell Johnson on Dec 16, 2008 3:20 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

well I do have the same problem and still try to figure it out.

I do have an WEB AS 6.40 as Java AdIn for XI on a windows 2003 together with Oracle running.

After installation and installing all lates support packages the machin run quite ok.

I just added 5 Dialog processes to the ABAP part (2 where the default value) and restartet the whole instanze.

Bang.

Set the valkues back and tried it again, nothing happened.

Abap is working quite ok but J2EE does not start any more. Inside the jcmon the above error message alittle different:

Can't open shared memory administration (rc=3)

any ideas

Additional info:

the only thing I can find inside the logfile is an entry inside the dev_disp:

Tue Dec 06 18:28:29 2005

J2EE server info

start = TRUE

state = STARTED

pid = 2188

argv[0] = D:\usr\sap\XIT\DVEBMGS00\j2ee\os_libs\jcontrol.EXE

argv[1] = D:\usr\sap\XIT\DVEBMGS00\j2ee\os_libs\jcontrol.EXE

argv[2] = -DCONNECT_PORT=1828

argv[3] = -DLISTEN_PORT=1829

argv[4] = -DSAPSYSTEM=00

argv[5] = -DSAPSYSTEMNAME=XIT

argv[6] = -DSAPMYNAME=tst-rbg02_XIT_00

argv[7] = -DSAPPROFILE=D:\usr\sap\XIT\SYS\profile\XIT_DVEBMGS00_tst-rbg02

argv[8] = -DFRFC_FALLBACK=ON

argv[9] = -DFRFC_FALLBACK_HOST=localhost

start_lazy = 0

start_control = SAP J2EE dispatcher node

DpJ2eeStart: j2ee state = STARTED

Tue Dec 06 18:28:49 2005

DpJ2eeEmergencyShutdown: j2ee state = SHUTDOWN

Message was edited by: Jan-Markus Wilhelm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

jcontrol trace log shows error:

[Thr 2788] *** ERROR => can't find shared library [jvm.dll] for vm type [server] [jstartxxi.c 1215]

[Thr 2788] *** ERROR => node [bootstrap] not found [jstartxx.c 1388]

Any help?

//PSL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The jcontrol cannot start the JVM process. I would suggest you to set jstartup/vm/home parameter in the instance profile, which would point to the JAVA_HOME that you want to use.

Best Regards

Vyara

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The documentation to link to run jcontrol still not solving the problem. I am facing the same problem and urgently need your help.

ERROR => Can't attach to administration shared memory (rc=3) [jcmonxx.c 219]

Please feedback.

//jck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello JCK,

Most probably there is no jcontrol process running on this machine.

Kind Regards

Vyara

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/12/bb0a412a06f023e10000000a155106/frameset.htm">this</a> documentation page. Although it describes the problem for the jcontrol process, an invalid shared memory segment could be the reason why you cannot attach the jcmon tool to it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still having the issue, but your response may be of use to me in the future.

Thanks!