cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Livecache 7.6 backup on MaxDB -> Strategy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have query regarding backup of livecache 7.6.

1- To backup livecache 7.6.01, should I use RSLVCBACKUP or MAXDB DBMGUI or DBMCLI.

We are on AIX 5.3 environment.

The Livecache version is KERNEL 7.6.01 BUILD 005-123-135-650

The MaxDB version is: DBMServer 7.6.01 Build 005-123-135-650.

I have found OSS# 820824 - FAQ: MaxDB/liveCache technology and OSS# 846890 - FAQ: MaxDB Administration, but there is no OSS note for Livecache 7.6 backup.

2- Is there a OSS Note for Livecache 7.6.01 backup.

3- What is the difference between MaxDB backup and livecache backup?

4- What is recommended procedure? Backup Livecache or backup MaxDB?

5- Where do I find the logs of livecache backup and MaXDB backup?

Thanks a bunch in advance. Points to be rewarded for any kind of small help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please note the SAP BAsis version is 7.0

and

the SCM version is 5.0

and LiveCache 7.6.01.

So should I use DB Calendar or RSLVCBACKUP report. The OSS# 455154 gives some different suggestions for Livecache 7.6.01.

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Abdul,

here are some answers to your questions:

Q1- To backup livecache 7.6.01, should I use RSLVCBACKUP or MAXDB DBMGUI or DBMCLI.

We are on AIX 5.3 environment.

The Livecache version is KERNEL 7.6.01 BUILD 005-123-135-650

A1: You can choose either of them. You can also use the DBA planning calendar (transaction DB13C or DBACOCKPIT) to backup the liveCache. Using the report or the planning calendar, you can schedule the backup that it runs at a specific date/time. Using the DBMGUI you can only run it immediately.

Q1a: The Livecache version is KERNEL 7.6.01 BUILD 005-123-135-650

A2a: If your SCM database does not run on MaxDB but on Oracle or SQL Server (or ...), you only have a liveCache with a specific version - you don't have a liveCache and a MaxDB version. The DBMServer version should always be the same as the liveCache version. It is part of the liveCache installation.

Q2- Is there a OSS Note for Livecache 7.6.01 backup.

A2: note #455154 describes how to run a backup. However, with version 7.6 there is no big difference in the procedure of a liveCache and a MaxDB backup.

Q3- What is the difference between MaxDB backup and livecache backup?

A3: With version 7.6 the procedure is quite the same. However, you talk about MaxDB backup only if you run MaxDB as an OLTP or BW database or if you use a content server.

Q4- What is recommended procedure? Backup Livecache or backup MaxDB?

A4: see above - I assume that you run the SCM system on a different database, so you need to run a liveCache backup.

Q5- Where do I find the logs of livecache backup and MaXDB backup?

A5: All log files of the liveCache (and of a MaxDB instance) can be found in the rundirectory of the database instance. The default directory is: /sapdb/data/wrk/<SID>

Q6- So should I use DB Calendar or RSLVCBACKUP report. The OSS# 455154 gives some different suggestions for Livecache 7.6.01

A6: see above - it's your choice. The report was implemented before DBACOCKPIT or DB13C were able to perform liveCache backups. So I would probably use the planning calendar.

HTH,

Melanie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a bunch Melanie, for your excellent feedback.

Answers (0)