Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data files full due to SGEN - Web AS 700 - ST12 down

MatthiasMaier
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

due to running a SGEN on a Web AS 700 - ST12 the data files of the MAX DB have been filled up. The DIA WPs died. Therefore I shut down the Web AS and the DB. I tried to set up a new data file with param_addvolume and db_addvolume. This did not work. I can bring the DB to admin mode but not to online mode.

Could anybody please explain me what I need to do to add a new data file and bring up the system again.

Thanks in advance,

Matthias

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MatthiasMaier
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

to add new files via the gui was the first way I tried. This failed because the according options are disabled in the gui (greyed-out) at least in admin mode.

Are there other ways to add new files?

Thanks,

Matthias

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This should work usually...

Did you try to put the system in ONLINE mode and tried then?

--

Markus

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Maier,

1)Please provide additional information:

-> Output of the following commands from the database server:

dbmcli -s inst_enum

dbmcli -s db_enum

sdbregview -l

dbmcli -d <SID> -u control,control param_getvolsall

-> What errors did you see in the knldiag file when you tried to restart the database?

-> Please post the knldiag.err tail from the day/time, when you your got DB_FULL issue & shut down the database.

-> Please check the dbm.prt file for the commands : param_addvolume and db_addvolume

=> Post in thread the exactly information in the dbm.prt for the execution of those commands with day/time & errors ...

-> Did you change another database parameters since the last successful database restart in online mode?

-> What is the version of the DBMGUI you are using?

2) You wrote ::

"Therefore I shut down the Web AS and the DB. I tried to set up a new data file with param_addvolume and db_addvolume. This did not work. I can bring the DB to admin mode but not to online mode."

I assumed, that you changed the database parameters for the additional data volume using the dbm command 'param_addvolume', but the datavolume was not created ...

If I'm correct < we need to check this issue first !!! Be careful ! >, you could restore the values of the parameters for the datavolumes created by database kernel, restart the database & add the database volume using DBMGUI tool, for example, or using dbm command 'db_addvolume'.

Please see the documentation at

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/maxdb ->

MaxDB Documentation :: The Complete MaxDB Documentation Set ->

Glossary -> Data Volume

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/maxdb/main&;

-> MaxDB Support Guide -> Standard problem situations -> Data area full

3) Please review the SAP notes::

767598 Available documentation

820824 FAQ: MaxDB/liveCache technology

846890 FAQ: MaxDB Administration

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

MatthiasMaier
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Natalia,

exactly what you have written happened. I tried to add a new volume first with param_addvolume and second with db_addvolume. The parameter file was changed but a new file was not created on the file system. Due to this the DB couldn't be set to online mode because in the parameter file is a new volume which does not exist on the file system. We deleted the added value for the new file with dbmcli and param_directdel, next we set the DB to online mode again and created the new volume via the dbmgui.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Matthias

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The easiest way would be to install the Windows GUI and add a file there. As soon as it´s created your system will run again.

Are you sure it´s the DATA area, that´s full and not the LOG area?

--

Markus