cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is tunnelling?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could you tell me what is tunnelling? and is there any special do's and don'ts when configuring a Tunnelling scenario?

Regards,

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey

All Messages that enter XI are converted to an XML format. So, if an IDOC is sent from an R3 system , it is converted into an XML message as well

IDOC tunelling is an option in which , you can avoid this conversion of IDOC into an XML format.

Suppose you need to do an IDOC to IDOC scenario where XI will jus be used for monitoring.

In these cases, by using IDOC tunelling, we can avoid the conversion of IDOC in to XML and therby imrove perfromance.

have a look at the following

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/11/21/xi-idoc-to-idoc-tunneling--how-fast-and-easy-can-you-get

/people/alessandro.guarneri/blog/2006/03/05/managing-bulky-flat-messages-with-sap-xi-tunneling-once-again--updated

Thanx

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

But is it possible only for IDocs?

Also what all steps do i need to do in IR?

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

Tunneling by term is specifically used for IDOC's itself,but definitely this concept can be used for other interfaces too.like when u do the bypass scenario,you dont do any conversion of files to XML.you simply transfer the files(.jpeg,.doc,.pdf or any other file).

AFAIK there is no need for any IR objects coz you dont do any mapping,and since no need of DT for IDOC's as well,we dont need any IR objects.

for interface name and namespace you can give the standard IDOC interface and namespace

Thanx

Ahmad

Message was edited by:

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ahmed

Could you pls tell what do u mean by flat sturcture or flat file?

and where do i find exchange profile?

Regards,

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Ashish

>>what do u mean by flat sturcture or flat file?

i can't find where i mentioned flat files:)anyways wat i meant is that you can transfer any file(.doc file,.pdf file,.jpeg file etc) from sender to receiver withour doing any IR objects.

have a look at the following bypass scenario

/people/william.li/blog/2006/09/08/how-to-send-any-data-even-binary-through-xi-without-using-the-integration-repository

even in the above approach we dont do any XML conversion hence it uses the same concept of tunneling.

you can access exchange profile via the following

http://<host:port>/exchangeProfile

Thanx

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahmed, i just want to know in general what does a flat structure or flat file means?

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

any file that is capable of being read sequentially can be called as flat file.in most common cases flat files can be a comma separated file or fixed lengths file or any other delimiter separated.

Technically even an XML file can be called as a flat file but generally we refer to them as XML files and not flat files.

Thanx

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahamad, thanks for an excellent answer on the Tunnelling.

Ashish - Ahamad deserves Points for his Patience and educating all of us.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Indeed, Thanks a lot Ahmed, I really appreciate your time and patience.

Ashish

Message was edited by:

Ashish Goyal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pete and Ashish

you are welcome guys:)

regards

Ahmad

Answers (0)