cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCO.Pool: reconnecting to the SAP server

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the behavior of the JCO.Pool/JCO.PoolManager when either the SAP server or the network goes down? Does it reconnect?

For instance, does the pool maintain the IP address of the server and use that same IP address when creating new connections? What if the SAP server went down and came up with a different IP address? Is this scenario covered?

I also came across a code example where it was recommended that the delete() method be called on a connection (JCO.Client) if an exception was thrown when invoking any methods on the connection. Is this good practice? I'm beginning to wonder if I should start checking the connections before I use them (isActive() and isValid()) and start tossing out the pool of connections if I start running into too many problems. I am loath to do this however because it doesn't sound very efficient.

I appreciate any input that can help sort this out.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

first suggestion is to make use of FQDN or hostname instead of using directly IP address...your IP might change but hostname changes very rarely...so guess this would eliminate your first issue...

are you making use of your JCo pool from J2EE runtime environment? if yes then consider changing your design to make use of JRA instead of JCo...many things are taken care by the application server in that case instead of you handling it programatically...

if it is required for a standalone application env...then you are probably left with only the option of trial and error