cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a container managed connection with generated proxies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Below is cut and paste from an internal e-mail, but since we are not able to find an answer with our in house expertise, I am posing the question to the SDN, we are planning on deployment with a 6.40 system.....

Thanks...

We are looking for a way to access what is commonly reffered to as a "Managed Connection Pool". This is a connection managed by something like the Java Connector Architecture(This is what the JRA is supposed to be, correct?) ......Ideally we are imagining we would just do a lookup in the JNDI, locate the pool and then ask the pool for a JCO connection.

This seems vaguely possible from the JRA examples, yet we are looking for some code samples specific to our needs. In a rather naive sense our intution is causing us to say there has to be a way to get a "Managed" connection like the JRA example demonstrates, yet use it only as a connection to the SAP system. We don't want to use it in place of proxies such as the JRA example demonstrates.

So let me summarize what we want one more time for clarity, we want to know "How to use a container managed connection with generated proxies?".......With a lack of specific SAP Web AS experience one would assume it has to be possible, we just want to see some example code that demonstrates it our in the lack of that, have you seen any API documentation on the JRA we could comb through?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

You can find some information on JRA here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_webas630/helpdata/en/6f/1bd5caa85b11d6b28500508b5d5211/frameset.htm

I have not worked directly with JRA but I have worked with JCo (JRA internally uses JCo to make RFC calls) so I can describe that process for you. SAP provides a new feature in SP12 that allows you to configure RFC "destinations" that can be looked-up using JNDI you can then use the connection to execute an RFC call to a BAPI. I'm assuming this is what you're looking for when you mentioned a "managed" connection.

In WebAS 6.40 SP12 you can create a connection pool for JCo connection by launching the SAP J2EE Visual Administrator and expanding the "Server" node, then expand "Services", and select the "Destinations" node. You'll then notice a list of destination types and in SP12 there's a new destination type called "RFC." You can create a new destination and specify the connection settings to your R/3 system. Then you can programmatically invoke BAPIs in your R/3 system by looking up the destination. The code to lookup an RFC destination can be found here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/17/d609b48ea5f748b47c0f32be265935/frameset.htm

Hope this helps.

-Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe you better be on WAS 7.0 to use the J2EE connector with level 1.5 below you can only use 1.0

You will be able to find the specifications at java.sun.com

search for J2EE Connector Architecture...

There is a pdf and it is arduous reading but will tell you all you need to know and more about the j2ee connector architecture (.rar)

In other words if your resource adapter is configured right the connection setup should be completely transparent to you...

Enjoy

Message was edited by: F.J. Brandelik