cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item level division

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus,

What can be the reasons to choose to have an item level division <> header level division?

I know pricing, delivery fns can be donw diff. based on the division?

Any special business scenarios?

Thanx.

-CW.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

in the transaction code VOV8 and the sales document type OR we have a field called item division , if you check this field, the system will copy the division from the material master and propose it in the sales document

if it is de-activated , then system does not copy the material division from the material master and automatically applies header division to all the line items in the sales order.

REgards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do know what u guys r saying but why the provision in SAP that allows to have a diff. item level division?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Customers are specific to sales area which is a combination of Sales org, Dist. Channel and Division. And using sales area we can restrict the customer from buying goods from other sales area.

But when it comes to material, which is the product the business might not want to restrict him from buying any product. So thats why a difference in division at the item level will enable him to buy the goods from all divisions.

Let me take an example to explain you. Suppose a client has 2 sales org. (6530, 6531), 2 Dist.Channel (65,66) and 3 divisions (65, 66, 67). If the customer belongs to one sales area (6530/65/65) and he is restricted to that sales area meaning he cannot buy goods from other sales area. But When raising a sales order the material listed can be from any division 65,66 and 67. So having a different Item division from header division will be helpful.

Hope explained you clearly.

Regards

AK

Reward points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

As very well said by AK,i would like to explain the need of the same from real time scenario,it is important to tie the customer to a particular sale area

so that channel of distribution is maintained.However we should allow the customer to buy other products of his choice as well and hence Diff division.

i hope this clarifies your quiries.

Award points if it is usefull.

Thanking you,

Best Regard

R.Srinivasan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again for the answers.

Let me know if I am right in sayin this..

While a customer master is created, a division needs to be put in only because SAP has a way to group materials based on the division field and for the material to be processed in an customer order, he needs to have master data for that particular sales area (SOrg-DC-Div).

I mean, if the customer has to be given a chance to buy materials from more than one division then in my opinion the need for division during the customer master creation is redundant. Am I right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In SAP one of the ways to group customers is Sales Area and Similarly to group materials one of the criteria is Division. So since a customer belong to particular Sales Area (6530/65/65), that means he is assigned to division 65. But he can also by products from other div 66, 67.

To your question's reply, you cannot say it as redundant, as the division at the header level refers to customer and at the item level refers to material.

Hope I was able to answer you clearly.

Regards

AK

Former Member
0 Kudos

What does this mean then? Customer belongs to 1000-10-01 but orders materials from divisions 02-03-06-10 regularly. What purpose does 01 really serve and where?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, but the sales organizations and distribution channels will be different, Thus restricting the customer.

Suppose you have 2 distribution channels, Retail and Whole Sale. One particular customer who is a Retailer can buy all the products from all the divisions but will be restricted from buying goods from Wholeseller dist channel.

Hope it will clear your doubt.

regards

AK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is done just for the sake of reducing the amount of data in the system.

To facilitate the user for creating Only one sales order in the system,in which items of different division should be allowed to process...we make use of item division field.

If we don't mark this setting then as per the header division system will allow to process only those material which user specifies in the initial screen of sales order.

I hope this will help to understand the bussiness requirement to do this configuration.

Reward points if useful

Regards,

Amrish Purohit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Curtly,

Division at item level level is picked from the material master in sales org 1 tab.Division at item level is just for grouping of materials.It will make sure that the item you are selecting belongs to a particular division.

Where as division at header level is for customer.When you create a sales order,you generally put the order type and the sales area that division will be used in header level and will be copied to the billing document also.Mostly we make a common division at the header level and that is used for all the materials so in this way you cannot differentiate the materials and their division.

Reward points if it helps.

Regards

Karan