cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why adapter engine in java stack instead of abap stack?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

refering to my subject i would like to know why adapter engine is under java stack and integration engine under abap stack?

regds

chako

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

as adapters are written in java and not in abap

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

and IE in abap?

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

because SAP wanted to use ABAP WAS

(it's scalibility etc etc)

most big companies use SAP not only because it supports all of those

business processes but also because it's worldwide known scalibility

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

maybe i got the escensce but to get it more clear on the second part of why IE in ABAP stack, i would like to carry this dicussion further.

if IE is placed in java stack cant it communicate with abap was using remote method calls? what potential difference it make in having IE in abap stack? is it bcoz of the performance issue if placed in java stack or becoz of the issue related to system failure?

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP has its proven over time and well tested expertise in terms of persistence etc which are all the features of IE...they've just made use of it instead of re-inventing the wheel in Java...what was to be developed newly and compatible with most of the open standards etc was done in Java for the reasons explained earlier..

Former Member
0 Kudos

do u mean that the f/n's of IE were already in field before the evolution of XI? was it a part of WAS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

i was browsing thru the sdn and found this link quite useful in addition to all ur replies.

thought of sharing this

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> do u mean that the f/n's of IE were already in field

> before the evolution of XI? was it a part of WAS?

Not necessarily, he means that the characteristics necessary for an Integration Engine (and I don't mean SAP XI IE, but any EAI's IE), which are for example good performance, confiability, scalability etc, are present in WAS ABAP based applications.

Regards,

Henrique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

the reason probably lies with the diverse standards for which Java has built in libraries / free source libraries available and the really great interoperability with open standards...imagine a third party application supporting propritery communication protocol ONLY and then weigh the ease of development of an Adapter for that in Java as well as ABAP...Java definately will have an upper edge.

Disclaimer : This is not an ABAP v/s Java debate and though a J2EE professional originally , I fully respect ABAP

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

this way it's much easier to devleop some third party adapters

like seebueger/iway etc

as java is a common standard and abap is sap only

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>