cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does installation of SAP require an experienced Consultant???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends

We have just bought the SAP software that includes R/3 and Netweaver and other ERP stuff.

I need to know the step by step instruction to install the software. Also I need the hardware requirements for doing this. I have realized that this is not very straight forward like other softwares.

I am going through the documentation but will be greatful if I can get some help from experts on this forum.

I don't know where to start? The documentation asks us to get help from service.sap.com/instguides. I am looking at it also. However, Is there a step by step guide out there some where which I can follow. Or is it necessary to hire some knowledgable consultant to do this or anybody with proper documentation can do this?

Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ram

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If this is the first time, I suggest getting an experience consultant.

It's not just a matter of installing only. Anyone can install it, but you need the view of the consultant for the big picture. Each individual implementation is differs from another. An experience consultant probably could help you design the proper system landscape, use the correct installation procedure, use the correct design methodology, help you avoid the known frustrations and pitfalls.

Each installation may be different from one company to another too. Some companies uses different extension too, like for instance public sector uses IS-PS, or oil company uses it's on extensions IS-OIL and etc. A experienced consultant can help you make the right decision and set it up accordingly.

This ain't a simple windows utility, it's probably your key financial software package. You'll likely want to setup the SAP infrastructure right the first time else it may cost more to have it fixed later.

However you are just installing it just for your own lab only, sure we can help in the forums.

Hope that's helpful.

regards,

Laurence...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laurence speaks the truth. You might be an experienced IT professional, but SAP is a whole different kettle of fish. I mean no disrepect to your skills and abilities, but SAP is just so different to anything out there.

The documentation is obscure, the application complex with logic that is extremely difficult to follow. That's the sheer genious of SAP and why it pays more to have SAP skills than MS skills.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

it isn't Windows installation. But if you have time you can do it by yourself. Get apriopriate guide for your OS/DB version. It is not "step by step" (to many cross references) so you have to read it once (including notes mentioned in text), then start doing what you have to (prepare os, copy data from cds/dvds to disks, start SAPinst etc.) while having guide and service.sap.com open

Most probably you'll get trapped somewhere and then post your problem here and someone will surelly help you.

Regs,

FS

http://www.icg.pl/sap