cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP xMII can buffer data ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a scenario in my project which is exactly one of the advantage of xMII.Below is the scenario

I need to buffer data when my ERP system is down using xMII and need to forward the buffered data when the ERP system comes back online.

Below line i read from one of the document in SAP.

Advantage to SAP xMII is that it does not require constant connectivity to ERP. SAP xMII can buffer data - from a day to a week's worth of orders - and retain those values until a connection is established again

Expecting your replies.

Thanks,

Bala

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Bala.

xMII can quite easily be used to implement this scenario. Personally, I prefer to have more control over the data buffering, and probably wouldn't use the built-in buffering in xMII 12.0 (since error/exception handling becomes a lot more complex, rather than simpler). It is very trivial to implement a store-and-forward with automatic retry, sophisticated error and diagnostic logging, a monitoring UI, and so on, using xMII's standard capabilities and a simple persistence mechanism such as a database, file system, or message queue (I've used all three at different times). To be "cluster safe", I'd avoid the file system approach, but the other two are quite viable. I typically then use the xMII scheduler to "wake up" every few minutes to check if there are queued tasks to be completed.

Also, this scenario can easily be delivered in any version of xMII, not just 12.0.

- Rick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

Thx. Let me tell my scenario again ..I have SAP R/3 connected with the xMII and there was lots of transaction taking place in SAP R/3 ,by some means my SAP R/3 goes offline .Whatever transcation taking place during the downtime of my SAP R/3 i need all that transaction to be stored and forwarded to SAP R/3 when it comes back online.

I need some clarification in your approach. I think we need to have a similar data model(in the buffer database) as the orginal for this approach. If my orginal is SAP r/3 which got lots of transcation is it possible to store all of this and forward when my SAP R/3 comes up? Is there anyway to find whether the SAP R/3 is up or down from xMII?

Thanks,

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) You can check the R/3 status by simply making a call to the system (there is an "ECHO" RFC you can invoke as a "health check"

2) All you need to buffer is the XML message(s) that would have been sent to R/3, and reattempt them later.

Please award points for helpful answers.

- Rick

abesh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

Yep xMII 12.0 does have a <b>"Data Buffer"</b> which can be used to store data coming from ERP or from an External third party system into xMII.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When we are expecting xMII 12.0 ? Is it already in commercial?.Is it possible to get mor information of the Data buffer capablity of xMII12.0?

Thanks,

Bala

sufw
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

as far as I know, version 12.0 is planned to be released in October this year.

As for the data buffering, take a look at http://help.sap.com and navigate to xApps > xMII > 12.0 SP1 Help > Data Services > Data Buffering

Sascha

former_member186262
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All

I was under the impression that for xMII to store and forward data XI was needed. How ever i understand from this thread that it can be done even without XI.

I however have a further query.

How much data can be stored and then forwarded to ERP ? Is this not limited?

Regards

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abesh,

Is xMII 12.0 uses any kind of internal database for this "Data Buffer" capablity? or we need to install any other database along with xMII12.0?

regards,

Bala

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bala,

Version 12.0 runs on NetWeaver 2004s WebAs and the data buffer tables are part of the internal database, as well as all of the configuration tables and content tables that were originally part of the file system.

No need for separate db for the data buffer info.

Regards,

Jeremy Good

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy ,

Thx. What is the system requirement for installing xMII12.0? What all the pre requistic software for running xMII12.0? Any idea of software cost?

Thx,

Bala

erik_schrampf
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Bala,

The requirements for installing xMII would be the same as installing WebAS/Netweaver. Your best bet is to look at the quicksizer guide for hardware specifications for WebAS/Netweaver as there is not one our for xMII 12.0 yet. Once WebAS/Netweaver is installed xMII is just deployed on top of it. Not sure of software costs on xMII though.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

NW 2004s SP10 or higher with WebAS Java stack only.

<a href="http://service.sap.com/form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000683969&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&">http://service.sap.com/form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000683969&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&</a>

Regards,

Jeremy