cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an original of document from DIR - no needed steps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have one problem with creating original files from DIR. For example I try to create TXT file. Application (path and program name) = %auto%.

If I press the button "Create original", I will get the Notepad window for create a text document, but in the same time the system leave from the DIR screen to the previous screen (where there are doc number, doc type, subdoc and vers). After saving a TXT file and closing the notepad window I must open the document and press the button "SAVE" for save the original file (that has been created) into storage system. I think the behavior of the system isn't right- I mean the leaving from the screen of document inforecord, is it? I will be grateful if you give me any comments about it.

All the best,

Aleksandr.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aleksandr,

What settings have you done for this?

Please check in TCode "DC30"

Setup Office Integration:-

Document Type : (Select your Document type)

Applic.: TXT

ApplTyp : Change/Display

Technique : LINK_SERV (This will exchange a data b/w SAP & Office Application)

Select Text box

(As per your requirments)

Then go to CV01N Tcode for your regular DMS creation

Regards

Rehman

Hope I have understood your question.

Reward Your Points If Useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rehman Khan,

Thanks for your answer. I have checked the settings following to your recomendation, but I have got the same result. When I press button "Create a new document" I get the new external notepad window for my TXT document. I see it in background the R3 system leave from current screen - the new document is saved by system with temporary link for the my new document, and I have got the first screen (e.g. the screen after entering in tcode CV01n e.t.c.). I create text file in the notepad, save it and close the notepad. For saving it to the storage system I have to open the document once again. There is the link for the my txt file - a padlock is opened. And press the button "Save" for storing the txt original file from local PC to the storage system.

Why R3 leave from DIR screen to the first screen? It is the normal behavior or not? It is very inconveniently. If the system R3 didn't leave from the DIR screen to the first screen I would not need renter in the document for storing an original file to storage system.

0 Kudos

hello Aleksandr,

to my knowledge the system works as designed.

The reason is:

1. The SAP document is the file + DIR

2. When we say: "Create document" we mean take an already existing file and create a new DIR and save this as a SAP document.

3. What you are doing is different you are creating the file first and want to store it in one go in the repository. That is not possible as first the file has to exist on the local machine or on the server than SAP can save it in the document repository.

Hope this helps to understand the philosphy behind it.

Regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I'm apologizing for incorrect terms. I'm agree with you.

For example if I need create a document + attach a scan copy of document. The copy hasn't exists yet. I'm creating a DIR (CV01N). And I want create a scancopy without exit from the document. I'm press bt. "Create original". Then I setup basic data of original document and press bt. "Create". In this time document DMS isn't saved yet, and scancopy too. I have got an application for scanning. I'm scaning a document, closing scanapplication, and pressing bt. "Save" in DIR. Original saving to repository successfully.

In really, Thomas, the system R3 offer to me that you have described in the third point. After I press bt "Create" DIR is saved by the system, and open the scan application. I just want to know - the behavior of the system is normal, or not. Why the system save my document and leave from DIR screen before I scan the original.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

Aleksandr.

0 Kudos

Hello Alekandr,

yes this behavior is standard behavior.

The reason is DMS is developed to support this scanning process like you want to do it.

You can use these work arounds:

1) For professional scanning processes we are working with partner companies like with DICOM, OCE, SealSystems etc. They provide professional capturing solutions on top of SAP DMS. If you need some contacts I can provide you these.

2) You could split the process into 2 steps. First you do all the scanning work on your PC. Than in the second step you do all the document creation work (CV01N).

If you want you can also automate this creation process by using CATT (for batch input) or by using the LSMW (Legacy System Migration Workbench). Both are part of the SAP standard delivery.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

It would be grateful if you gave me any contacts. Is it a commercial product?

All the best,

Aleksandr.

0 Kudos

Hello Aleksandr,

yes they are all professional suppliers and long lasting SAP partners.

DICOM: Ulf Reinhold: Ulf_Reinhold@dicomgroup.com

Seal Systems AG: Reinhold Müller-Meernach: rm.meernach@sealsystems.de

Regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas for help

All the best,

Aleksandr

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Athol,

If in SAP DMS, I have done configuration for Classification, I assume Easy DMS would provide a means for populating this data as well?

I am actually looking for an easy way to add scanned documents to a DIR without having to write any ABAP.

Someone said something about a CATT script or LSMW. Do you know these tools and have you used any of them particularly for scanned documents and DMS?

Please advise.

Former Member
0 Kudos

CATT script and LSMW will both work, but will require a minimum of ABAP to generate the project types and the relevant file formats. LSMW (Legacy System Migration Workbench) is used for upload of legacy data in SAP so it would allow you to populate a DIR and all metadata fields in SAP and store the document in the relevant repository.

EasyDMS uses RFC's to access SAP and create the DIR's but there are limits around how you can enhance this and I would see you have some issues if you intend using this as a migration tool or for high volume uploads.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

I was hoping you wouldnt say that.

Assuming I use LSMW:

• For all pratical purposes, I have 100 000 scanned images, stored on a file server.

• I would have to specify the necessary metadata for every single DIR as well as document desription and status etc. for every sigle image?

• Is this somehow automated?

Please advise,

Freddie.

freddieb@documation.co.za

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Freddy

There are a couple of ways you could do this with that sort of volume, but I can tell you that unless you have an entire department sorting their individual docs, EasyDMS is not the solution:

1. LSMW - Probably the faster upload method if you have the data and documents in correct format

2. EasyDMS - Drag and drop one at a time (good luck, let me know when you're finished in a couple of years)

3. Write an upload program - Write a program that polls the directory and uploads the files to DIR's.

4. Buy a commercial upload program - There are some packages out there that allow you to scan to DIR's or upload scanned images to DIR's

There are many options to ease the upload process for LSMW if you're prepared to think outside the box. We wrote a program using VB and Excel for a customer which effectively allows you to run a program over a directory and it will upload all the metadata to a spreadsheet and create an LSMW upload template file for you to upload with LSMW into SAP. We used the folders and sub folders as a means to classify the document and the file name as the DIR description. The obvious advantage with taking it into a spreadsheet first is you can default values like status, doc owner, change number etc. This would also allow you to bypass the abap requirements for LSMW but you would obviously still need programming in VB to do the job.

Obviously I can't give you the program (intellectual property) but it gives you an idea of the types of options you could look into as alternatives.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Athol,

You have given me some very insightful advice.

What is your knowledge like on SAP KPRO?

Is there a specific lisencing model for KPRO. Do you need to buy the software separately? Where does Content Server fit into the picture?

Also, just to make sure, DMS is a cross application right? Do you need separate lisences for DMS?

Please advise,

Regards,

Freddie Botha

+27727333034

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know KPRO fairly well. People commonly refer to the SAP content server as KPRO or the KPRO server so this is probably where some confusion arises. Technically KPRO is actually a layer in SAP but its seems to be the norm to refer to it as KPRO so to avoid confusion, when I refer to KPRO I am referring to the SAP Content Server software. KPRO is part of your SAP licensing so its available to SAP customers free of charge. Most customers should have a copy of the software with their SAP software.

DMS is cross application like workflow. You don't need a separate license for DMS if the user is an existing user, but for non-SAP users you can negotiate licenses for just PLM or DMS with the relevant SAP Account Executive (AE) if there are specific user requirements. Its best to discuss these items directly with the AE in question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day Athol,

I need to pick your brains again if you dont mind.

Is it possible to store documents in MS Sharepoint, but access them via SAP DMS? E.g. The DIR is in SAP, but Sharepoint is used as the Content Server.

Please advise.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, as far as I know MS Sharepoint is not a certified HTTP content server for SAP DMS but you can use it as a repository for KM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone. This questions is for Athol and Thomas. I have configured Office Integration, and everything works as it is supposed to, however my question relates to usability.

For Excel, when I open the file INPLACE, the container has to buttons, SAVE and SAVE & EXIT.

The first save the changes made to the Excel file, and leaves the container open, thus allowing the user to click on the "BACK" button to return to the DIR. The SAVE & EXIT button however, although doing what it is designed to do, closes the DIR after it saves the original.

What I want to know is whether there is a way to remove the SAVE & EXIT button from the container?

I am assuming the typical answers are authorizations to prevent it, or a change to the SAP Standard? In all probability, I can use GuiXT to remove it too, but that is a bit of an overkill just to remove a single buutton.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible to scan a document, and then drag it into an Easy DMS folder?

Would this create the DIR in SAP DMS?

Please advise

Regards,

Freddie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes it would. EasyDMS creates the DIR and stores the document in the DIR in the background