Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy ESS DC from NWDI

mmmonteverde
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to make a copy of an standard ESS DC in order to add functionality. I've imported it from my NWDI and I've created a new DC in order to copy this functionality; I've made it through the Navigator of the NWDS, but the copy doesn't work. Sometimes it builds correctly but then the Deploy fails or sometimes the Build fails. This is happening with only the copy of the DC, we've not added anything to the DC.

How can we copy this DC in a better way, exists any other way we can accomplish this? How can we copy a DC into another?

Regards and thanks a lot!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Clusterwide expection is thrown if some application is already deployed which has the same name. Until you undeploy that

application the new application will not be deployed.

So, firstly check to see if the dc is already deployed.

Secondly, your dc might be dependant on other dc's(check the used DC section). So, recheck to see all the dcs which are being referenced by your DC, are deployed correctly to the target system.

Hope this helps.

mmmonteverde
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Laxmi,

Thanks for your help, this means that if I'm trying to copy an standard DC that has its components, applications, views, etc; I've to rename everything in there in order to use it? What is the best practice in order to copy an standard XSS DC and add functionality to it? Have you ever made this?

Thanks a lot,

Maria Margarita Monteverde

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the reply . I have already read XSS Cookbook and it nowwhere mentions to make a copy of he SC and do modificaions ...that's why I started making modifications in the standard...

Also if you make a copy and do modifications and apply a SP afer somtime how does it work then to retain your old changes as well as apply the new changes from SAP..

Please reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am on EP7.0 ERP05 NW04s and trying to modify the ESS standard applications ,till now I have imported the development configuration from NWDI and gone to source code checked it out created an activity and after testing it checked it back in....

but now I hear that we should not directly modify the source code rather make a copy for it in a customer namespace like Z_<copy>....

there is also a Development extension guide on this I think , please send it to me if you have the link..

Any help would be highly appreciated.

mmmonteverde
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi SubhashTripathi ,

I've not found any guide to execute the DC Copy process, what you can read is the NWDI Cookbook for XSS for any updates. The recommendation is to not update any standard DC, what you must do is copy it or make your modifications under the "com.xxx" vendorname. This is because of the releases of new support packages. Find this guide at the SAP Note 872892 <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes/sdn_oss_bc_cts/~form/handler%7b5f4150503d3030323030363832353030303030303031393732265f4556454e543d444953504c4159265f4e4e554d3d383732383932%7d">JDI/NWDI Cookbook for ESS/XSS</a>

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

You dont have to rename everything. I think you just need to rename the application and the dc.

If you want to modify any of the ESS dc's, I would rather go modifying the Sap delivered dc's directly instead of creating a separate local copy of it.

You can definitely do the way you are doing but it needs extra effort to put in.

Good luck.

mmmonteverde
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Laxmi,

I've checked all the DCs and they are deployed, also my DC has a diferent name, a diferent Vendor and a diferent application name; and the error still appears at Deploy time. I've also made all the Used DCs references available at only build time. The error still appears and the deployment cannot be made. Have you ever made a copy like this? not editing the standard DC? If you edit the standard DC how do you work with the new releases of the standard?

Regards and thanks a lot,

timo_renner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

I can't tell you much about the error at the moment.

If you plan only to modify the standard without using the standard application anymore, then you do not have to copy the component. Then you just do the modifications directly in the application.

When receiving a new SP of the app, then please follow SAP Note 872892.

Or, when you feel quite experienced with WD metacode, then import it directly into your development track. DTR will tell you which sources have been modified and have to be merged with the standard, so you don't loose anything. But that's only for people who know the what to do in WD metacode.

(Note: this is not supported by SAP!!!)

Best regards,

Timo

Message was edited by:

Timo Renner

mmmonteverde
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Timo,

This is exactly why I'm copying it, because of the support; and also because we need both applications, the standard one and the one with the modifications.

I've renamed every component at the DC and now the application is running. I've checked the server default trace when we only had modified the DC and Application name and was throwing errors with duplicate components at the DC.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make sure all the required components(like SAPPCUI_GP, EP_BUILDT, SAP_JEE, SAP_BUILDT, SAP_JTECHS)) are deployed. These components should be deployed in the target system.

mmmonteverde
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Laxmi,

All this components are deployed because we're creating the DC copy at the same track as the XSS. I'm checking the properties of the used DCs we're referencing, if the dependency time: deploy, build, runtime, etc, must be checked... Do you think anything is missing?

Thanks a lot,

MMM

timo_renner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

when you want to copy a DC you need to create a new, empty DC. Then you need to copy just the source-keeping folders, in WD case the "src" is sufficient. Additionally, you need to adjust the DC metadata; the easiest way is to do this manually by checking the DC Metadata folder in the WebDynpro perspective. Especially check the "Used DCs" section and make sure you are using the same DCs as the origin DC.

But besides the issues while copying a DC: why do you want to copy it?

With NWDI you can modify the application and receive conflicts on all modified sources when applying a SP so you can resolve it in a way that is known from the ABAP SPAU transaction.

Best regards,

Timo

mmmonteverde
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Timo,

That's exactly what we've done, but we have the problems I've wrote in the last post. We need to copy this DCs because we need to make some changes to some ESS standard applications in order to enhance the functionality to execute aanother process, so we need the new and the standard application to be shown through the portal.

Has anybody made anything like this?

Regards and thanks a lot,

timo_renner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

can you provide some logs of the failed builds/deployments?

Best regards,

Timo

mmmonteverde
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Timo, Here's the log..

Regards and Thanks a lot for your help!

!ENTRY com.sap.ide.metamodel.core 1 1 Jul 02, 2007 12:24:33.953

!MESSAGE Saving Metadata for project EPD_XSS2_DFITV002bcp.com

!ENTRY com.sap.ide.metamodel.core 1 1 Jul 02, 2007 12:24:34.31

!MESSAGE refreshing<0ms>: /EPD_XSS2_DFITV002bcp.com/src/packages/com/bcp/xss/hr/lea/appl for C:/Documents and Settings/Maria Margarita/.dtc/1/DCs/bcp.com/FITV002/_comp/src/packages/com/bcp/xss/hr/lea/appl

!ENTRY com.tssap.util 4 0 Jul 02, 2007 12:27:24.640

!MESSAGE Jul 2, 2007 12:27:24 PM com.sap.ide.eclipse.sdm.threading.DeployThreadManager [Thread[Deploy Thread,5,main]] Error:

[004]Deployment aborted

Settings

SDM host : dsapep01

SDM port : 50118

URL to deploy : file:/C:/DOCUME1/MARIAM1/LOCALS1/Temp/temp4037bcp.comFITV002.ear

Result

=> deployment aborted : file:/C:/DOCUME1/MARIAM1/LOCALS1/Temp/temp4037bcp.comFITV002.ear

Aborted: development component 'FITV002'/'bcp.com'/'LOKAL'/'0.2007.07.02.12.26.43'/'0':Caught exception during application deployment from SAP J2EE Engine's deploy service:java.rmi.RemoteException: Cannot deploy application bcp.com/FITV002.. Reason: Clusterwide exception: Failed to deploy application bcp.com/FITV002. Check causing exception for details (trace file). Hint: Are all referenced components deployed and available on the engine?; nested exception is: com.sap.engine.services.deploy.container.DeploymentException: Clusterwide exception: Failed to deploy application bcp.com/FITV002. Check causing exception for details (trace file). Hint: Are all referenced components deployed and available on the engine? (message ID: com.sap.sdm.serverext.servertype.inqmy.extern.EngineApplOnlineDeployerImpl.performAction(DeploymentActionTypes).REMEXC)

Deployment exception : The deployment of at least one item aborted