cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Namespace

Former Member
0 Kudos

Whats the Role of a Namespace in the Integration Repository?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pete,

Namespace is used for logical grouping of objects. To differentiate between various packages namespaces are used. The best benefit of namespace is that we can define components with same name in different namespaces and there will be no confliction.

For have more info check this:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/4e/83623c9c6b530de10000000a114084/content.htm

Regards,

Subhasha

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

<b>What exactly is a namespace and why is it important? I'd like to first explain by comparing it to traditional software development in an object oriented language. I come from a C background, but have done some development in C++ and C#, both of which can incorporate an OOP (object oriented programming) design. The reason I would like to compare the namespace to OOP is because I imagine that many of the developers out there who are just starting out with XI have probably already previously done some programming and it may make a bit more sense to compare XI to something we are all familiar with. Well in OOP, as you may know, we declare namespaces in order to keep all of our variables organized. This way, if we declare a variable with the name temp1 for example, and then another developer comes along and uses that same variable name in another namespace, the compiler won't throw an error and all will work out fine. The same applies in Exchange Infrastructure. Ultimately we are going to be defining data types, which are sort of like variables. Or more specifically, they are sort of like structures in programming. So, we create a namespace in XI so that other developers can create their own scenarios on the same box and use the same names for repository objects and not cause issues with the ones you create</b>

Source: /people/harrison.holland5/blog/2006/12/20/xi-configuration-for-mdm-integration--sample-scenario

By far this is the simplest and most exhaustive definition i found for Namespace

Thanx

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pete,

Practically to differentiate each and every interface in one of the software component we use namespace. Without this we cannot put all the objects of one interface in the SWC.

Regards,

---Satish

former_member184619
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<b>Namespaces</b> in the Integration Builder are namespaces in the sense of XML namespaces that are sub-divided further into semantic units within the Integration Builder software component versions. Objects of a namespace can only be shipped as part of the corresponding software component version and not separately.

<b>Each object for a namespace has a unique name within this namespace. An object is

identified uniquely by a namespace + object name.</b>Basically, a namespace in XML can be any constant value. Note the following two

conventions:

<b>http://</b> When you specify an HTTP address as a namespace this does not mean that you

can access additional information about the namespace from this address (in some

cases an XML schema definition is hidden behind the address). The HTTP address

used merely ensures that the name of the namespace is unique. SAP namespaces

adhere to the standard http://sap.com/xi/<Name>.

<b>urn:</b> Namespaces with this prefix have no value in the sense that they are not

connected with a web page in the Internet.

Sachin

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

one of the reason is for uniquness

Regards

Agasthuri Doss