cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff Bet Sync and Async

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

Q1) what is the difference between the synchronous communication and the asynchronous communication.

Q2) Difference between RFC and IDOC

Q3) What is a pipeline?

Regards

Saravana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

santhosh_kumarv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Q1) what is the difference between the synchronous communication and the asynchronous communication

Synchronous communication : the sender and receiver must synchronize with one another before data is sent. Here once sending a request from the sender side it waits for an response, until then it wont make any new communication further.

Asynchronous communication : Here the sender and receiver need not be in synchronization, the sender doesn't wait for any response, it starts processing new job.

Q2) Difference between RFC and IDOC

RFC is used for synchronous communication and IDOC will be used for Asynchronous communication. We can also make async communication using RFC but it should be defined explicitly.

Q3) What is a pipeline?

Pipeline is nothing but the steps performed in integration engine at runtime. After the message is converted to xml in adapter engine it goes to integration engine for processing. In IE these pipeline steps process the message further. These include: receiver determination, interface determination, message split, and mapping, routing, call adapter.

Regards

Santhosh

*Reward Points if found useful*

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<i>Q1) what is the difference between the synchronous communication and the asynchronous communication.</i>

>>>

in a sync commu. there will always be a reply from the receiving system.

<i>Q2) Difference between RFC and IDOC</i>

>>>

<i>What is a pipeline</i>

>>>

former_member529475
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Saravana

<b><i>what is the difference between the synchronous communication and the asynchronous communication</i></b>

Synchronous - Sender is awaiting response from the Receiver immediately. i.e When you send data, it expects an immediate acknowledgement.

Sender <->(Req/Response) Receiver

Required when you need to process some other business logic based on the response .

For e.g you need to post some data to SAP system. Based on successful, you need to send these data into Sender/any other system

Realtime e.g Authorizing Credit Card no.

Asynchronous- Sender is not waiting for any acknowledgement. After sending it just keep quite.

This type of communication is recommended for updates in order to avoid data inconsistencies.

e.g Sending data in batch to update database.

Sender ->(Request)Reciever

<b><i>Difference between RFC and IDOC</i></b>

IDOC ---> Will be used to sending data in Async mode ...

It is very standard and for better performance Async case

RFC --- > Function module and general will be used to make call to function

sending the function (XI has RFC adapter)

<b><i>What is a pipeline?</i></b>

A response step is added for synchronous apart from normal steps... Response messages are processed using backward pipelines . These pipelines are defined for each pipeline involved in the processing of a request message

Pipeline :

When a source message reaches the Integration server

the messages under goes this

a) Receiver Determination:

This steps determines the system that participates in the exchange of the message.

b) Interface Detremination:

For each receiver determine which interface will should receieve the message.

c) Message Split:

If more than one receievers are found, XI will instantiate new message for each receiver.

d) Message Mapping:

Mapping to transform the source message to destination message format.

e) Technical Routing:

Bind a specific destination and protocol to the message.

f) Call outbound Adapter:

Send the transformed message to the adapter or a proxy.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/41/b714f85ffc11d5b3ea0050da403d6a/framese

Cheers..

Vasu

<i>** REward Points if found useful **</i>