Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Adobe Document Services (ADS) on System i

JanStallkamp
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi.

We have heard questions about using ADS on System i several times in this forum. Barbara Roth from the SAP on IBM System i porting team (who answered most of these questions) has now written a paper on how to deal with ADS on our platform. Have a look on our .

Best regards,

Jan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have read Barbara Roth's white paper as I am having problems with my Windows DI install (the Weedwacker in her picture). I am not experianced with installing SAP on windows and would like some more details on the steps for the windows DI install especially with JAVA.

I have read the install documentation and many notes. How does the JAVA DI connect to the iseries CI? What settings are involved? What are the gotcha's. Mostly I am a JAVA novice. There seems to be a few too many admin tools each with their own jar and each with a few properties files. A central SAP XML file for config would be much easier to update and debug.

This is my sandbox for the ECC6 upgrade which is done but I had to switch from the Native driver using 826449. I created my own project plan for that but I don't know how to see if everything is working. No one should use the native driver for 2004s until all the tools like ADS are ported. A lot of space in the install documentation is confusing in that reguard.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Craig,

you bring up some valid points:

1. Installing a Windows dialog instance

In NetWeaver 7.0 (2004s), at the beginning of the installation of the DI, you don't select the type of dialog instance any more. In the Welcome screen you would choose something like "Additional Application Server". The installation will ask you for the profile directory of the central instance and will conclude the rest (if CI has ABAP, DI will have ABAP, if CI has Java, DI will have Java).

The installation of the Windows dialog instance needs to get started on the Windows host where you want to install your dialog instance using a Windows installation master DVD.

2. Using Native JDBC driver

All SAP instances of a system will use the same JDBC driver. If your SAP system contains remote instances (instances that are on a different host than the database), you have no choice but will have to use the Toolbox JDBC driver. Especially in the case of Adobe, the remote platform is Windows, you definitely need to use the Toolbox JDBC driver.

3. Further confusion

Thanks for sharing the challenges of an install with us. If you have more concrete problems, I'm convinced the forum is willing to help you. I think it wouldn't help to just pour lots of general information over you. Please let me know if you have more specific questions.

Best regards, Barbara

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jan and Barbara,

Thank you very much for the time and efforts!

May I ask a question about the second paragraph on page 3 - “Be aware that all instances of an SAP system will have the same type as the central instance..."

Is it addressed to Scenario 1 or Scenario 2? (The content looks like further explanation to Scenario 1, but it is directly under Scenario 2.)

Best regards,

Victor

0 Kudos

Hello Victor,

this is indeed a littel misleading, but just from the formatting. It is always the case that all instances of an SAP system will have to have the same type or "topology". If the central instance is a double stack all other instances will have to have this, too. This applies for all possible topologies.

Best Regards, Chris.