cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a network safe data collection screen

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to create a data collection screen that will be fool proof if the network should have to fail.

I have created an irpt page that allows inputs and does calculations of this data. I will also have an irpt page that will replace our error page that will appear when the network fails.

The question is can I have the data append to an xml file or append a text file locally on the hard drive? Can I have it smart enough that it will ping the network and/or the database. If everything is up and running to upload the data, delete the xml or text file and reload the original irpt page?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In short - No ;*) And I don't like to say no.

The irpt pages live on the xMII server. If the network fails how will the client browser get to the irpt page on the xMII server?

I guess if you installed xMII on each client machine then you could have everyone work locally and batch data uploads and downloads when the network is available, but this would be an administrative nightmare, not to mention unbelievably expensive in server licenses.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Instead of an irpt page could it just be an html page that sends the data to an xml or text file?

Former Member
0 Kudos

an html page is just static text

To provide any type of logic functionality, you'll need to hook into a web application server (xMII, .NET, ColdFusion, PHP, Ruby on Rails, etc.) Some of which are free (Ruby on Rails!!!!) that might solve the $$ issue, but not the administration hassle.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

abesh
Contributor
0 Kudos

You can also try using AJAX. Maybe make a HTTP call to the backend every few seconds and if the network is down, maybe give a pop-up. GMail does the same thing if it fails to send your mail, for e.g.

But be forewarned that the moment you close the web page, your data will be lost and there will be no way of getting it back. Alternatively you can save the data on the server (using AJAX, again) every few seconds and then when the network is down maybe warn the user with a popup. This way the last saved data will still be available to you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, you'd be best to create something like an Adobe Flex or .NET app that front-ended xMII in this scenario.