cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update database statistics failed during database instance installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

<i>Hi Dear,

I tried to install database instance on oracle 10.2. During the process of updating database statistics, errors occured:

I need to install ABAP stack. The oracle 10.2 has been installed. I've also installed the Central Instance. So I continued to install one database instance.</i>

<b>WARNING 2007-06-27 15:14:07

Execution of the command "E:\usr\sap\NW4\SYS\exe\run/brconnect -u / -c -f crsyn -o SAPNW4" finished with return code 3. Output: BR0801I BRCONNECT 7.00 (16)BR0252E Function _popen() failed for '( E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\sqlplus /nolog ) < \nul 2>&1' at location BrPipeOpen-4

BR0253E errno 2: No such file or directoryBR0272E Execution of program '( E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\sqlplus /nolog ) < \nul 2>&1' through pipe failed

BR0303E Determination of Oracle version failed.

ERROR 2007-06-27 15:14:07

CJS-00288 Could not update database statistics.<br>DIAGNOSIS: Command brconnect -u / -c -f crsyn -o SAPNW4 returned 3.<br>SOLUTION: See brconnect.log for details.

In the brconnect.log, the detailed info is:

BR0801I BRCONNECT 7.00 (16)

BR0252E Function _popen() failed for '( E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\sqlplus /nolog ) < \nul 2>&1' at location BrPipeOpen-4

BR0253E errno 2: No such file or directory

BR0272E Execution of program '( E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\sqlplus /nolog ) < \nul 2>&1' through pipe failed

BR0303E Determination of Oracle version failed

BR0280I BRCONNECT time stamp: 2007-06-27 15.14.07

BR0804I BRCONNECT terminated with errors</b>

Could anyone help?

About the installation environment: (In one local PC)

DB: Oracle 10.2, the installation of oracle finished successfully.

The installation of Central Instance finished successfully.

Thank you very much.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

Better to upgrade kernel version and retry installation. If it is not sucess start from first.

While starting installation select custom installation then you will get option of skip DB statistics.

Once installation is completed then you can run DB statistics in DB13. Right now it is not mandentry.

Regards,

Suraj

Message was edited by:

Suraj kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

The process that I try to identify the problem:

<b>1.</b> Firstly, 'customer installation' is not included in 2004 (for 04s, it's possible), so I have to use 'standard installation'.

<b>2.</b> I've deleted the system, including DB software and reinstall oracle 10.2 with the correct home directory E:\ORACLE\NW4\102, but still the same problem...

after click 'view log' button during installation, the following info:

<b>WARNING:

Execution of the command "E:\usr\sap\NW4\SYS\exe\run/brconnect -u / -c -f crsyn -o SAPNW4" finished with return code 3. Output: BR0801I BRCONNECT 7.00 (16)BR0252E Function _popen() failed for '( E:\ORACLE\NW4\102\BIN\sqlplus /nolog ) < \nul 2>&1' at location BrPipeOpen-4

BR0253E errno 2: No such file or directoryBR0272E Execution of program '( E:\ORACLE\NW4\102\BIN\sqlplus /nolog ) < \nul 2>&1' through pipe failed

BR0303E Determination of Oracle version failed.

ERROR

CJS-00288 Could not update database statistics.DIAGNOSIS: Command brconnect -u / -c -f crsyn -o SAPNW4 returned 3.SOLUTION: See brconnect.log for details.</b>

When I come to the <b>brconnect.log</b>, the following errors:

<b>BR0801I BRCONNECT 7.00 (16)

BR0252E Function _popen() failed for '( E:\ORACLE\NW4\102\BIN\sqlplus /nolog ) < \nul 2>&1' at location BrPipeOpen-4

BR0272E Execution of program '( E:\ORACLE\NW4\102\BIN\sqlplus /nolog ) < \nul 2>&1' through pipe failed

BR0303E Determination of Oracle version failed

BR0280I BRCONNECT time stamp: 2007-06-27 15.14.07

BR0804I BRCONNECT terminated with errors</b>

<b>3.</b> I log on the system using <sid>adm user,and run the brconnect manually,

<b>brconncet -u -c -f crsyn -o SAPNW4</b>, comes the errors:

<b>BR0301E SQL error -1017 at location db_conncet-2, SQL statement:

'CONNECT /'

ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied</b>

I think because of this failure, the brconnect unable to connect to database to update; therefore, sqlplus is called explicitly to connect to db; however, the call of sqlplus fails because of some reasons.

So I perform as follows:

I call the sqlplus:

<b>sqlplus /nolog

SQL> CONNECT /

ERROR:

ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied</b>

However, if I do like this:

<b>sqlplus /nolog

SQL>CONNECT / AS SYSDBA

Connected.</b>

And it works.

I'm not sure is it the reason why the brconnect can't connect to the db. It seem not a permission problem.

However, I'm not familiar with Oracle. So I don't know what does this mean and how to solve it. Even if I can solve it manually, how can sapinst know this?

Anyone could help me?

Thank you very much!

BR

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can connect using

connect / as sysdba

if

sqlnet.authentication_services = (NTS) is set in sqlnet.ora

and

the operating system user is in the computer local groups ORA_DBA ora ORA_SID_DBA.

you can connect using

connect /

if there exists a corresponding database user in the database.

The database username depends on the operating system (OPS$osuser in unix, OPS$computer\osuser on Windows with a computer loca account and OPS$domain\osuser on Windows with a domain account). The prefix OPS$ can be modified using a parameter.

lets assume that you are running with a local account laccount on computer hosta, your database sid is MMM

connect / as sysdba will work

if laccount is member of local group ORA_DBA or ORA_MMM_DBA.

connect / will work

if there is a database user OPS$hosta\laccount in the database with appropriate role assigned.

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

I've looked up the dba_role_privs table, and for the user: OPS$NW4ADM, it is granted the roles: CONNECT, RESOURCE, SAPDBA, is it enough?

It seems still impossible to connect to the db using "CONNECT /"....

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

as i already wrote, if the database runs on Windows the right username is

OPS$computername\NW4ADM for a local user

OPS$domainname\NW4ADM for a domain user

OPS$NW4ADM is only valid for Unix based Databases.

the roles are sufficient.

peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

You're right.

After I created OPS$hostname\NW4ADM, assigned roles to this user, and logon with this user to continue the installation, it works, through I've met a new problem.

Note 50088 is responsible for this problem.

Thanks for all the help from all the guys!

BR

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

I encounter the same problem with you. I look through all the solution. One question is where should I create the OPS$hostname\NW4ADM user? In Win 2003 or Oracle?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

I encounter the same problem with you. I look through all the solution. One question is where should I create the OPS$hostname\NW4ADM user? In Win 2003 or Oracle?

Peter

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

This thread is closed, therefore, you should not do folloups on it 6 months later.

If you ask that is because you have not read carefully the thread nor the notes referenced.

- The user NW4ADM ALREADY exit at Operating System

- OP$ is the standar prefix for Oracle users that are identified by the operating system.

- Note 50088 (referenced in the thread) indicates:

>Ic Creating OPS$ users (as of Oracle 8.1.6)

>On Oracle 8.1.6, security for OPS$ access has been enhanced by including the domain name in the >OPS$ user names.

If the note 50088 is read carefully, you should be able to solve 99% of the OPS$ issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Fidel,

I am sorry that I posted the question after the thread is closed long time ago. Thansk for your explanation. I will read the SAP Note for the answer. I am new player of SAP and Oracle.

Peter

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

Better to upgrade kernel version and retry installation. If it is not sucess start from first.

While giving inputs phase it self better to skip DB ststistics. After complition of installation you can update it later.

This is not problem with authorisations.

Regards,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suraj,

How to skip update db statistics? Isn't it mandatory?

Thanks.

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the ugly fomat, I don't know why the space can't be displayed when posted. When editing, no problem.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

did you get the Oracle 10.2 software together with the remaining DVDs? It looks to me like you use an Installation Master DVD which is not "Oracle 10.2 aware", because it searches sqlplus etc. in an Oracle 920 directory.

For some products which were initially released with Oracle 9, you'll have to do some additional steps if you want to install them using Oracle 10.2.

Pls. check e.g. OSS note 949116, or tell us the procuct you are installing.

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Elmar,

I intend to install NetWeaver 2004. I remember oracle 10.2 is also supported. (I'm right? I'm not sure.)

I've made a mistake when I was prompted to input the path for oracle home directory. I input 920 instead of 1020. Maybe it will be clear if I've typed 1020

The database DVD is oracle 10.2.

Thank you.

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

<i>> I intend to install NetWeaver 2004. I remember oracle 10.2 is also supported. (I'm right? I'm not sure.)</i>

It is supported.

<i>> I've made a mistake when I was prompted to input the path for oracle home directory. I input 920 instead of 1020. Maybe it will be clear if I've typed 1020 :)</i>

You should type "102", not "1020".

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't quite understand what does the following info mean.

BR0252E Function _popen() failed for '( E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\sqlplus /nolog ) < \nul 2>&1' at location BrPipeOpen-4

Which file is missing? I'm a bit confused. It seems a database problem?

Could someone gives some suggestions?

Thanks.

Best Wishes,

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

brconnect tries to run E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\sqlplus, reading it's output through a pipe. Opening E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\sqlplus fails with the error "No such file or directory", as sqlplus does not exist at this path.

The reason is, that you entered the wrong oracle home directory in sapinst. brconnect searches sqlplus at the wrong location.

You might(!) continue the installation by creating a directory E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\ and copying sqlplus to it - but there might be other follow on errors due to the wrong oracle home setting...

The safest way probably is to repeat the installation of the database instance.

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>You might(!) continue the installation by creating a directory E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\ and copying sqlplus to it - but there might be other follow on errors due to the wrong oracle home setting...

don't do this kind of hacks.

Oracle did some dirty tricks linking Windows registry entries to filesystem which is not known by most of you. You will run in nearly unpredictable behaviour if mixing up registry / environment and information in filesystem.

fix your environment (ORACLE_HOME, PATH) to point to the right directory and it will start working.

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Thank you for your suggestions.

In fact, sqlplus.exe exists in E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\, that's why I'm so confused...

Just because I've typed the wrong name?

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

<i>> In fact, sqlplus.exe exists in E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\, that's why I'm so confused...</i>

What happens if you call "E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\sqlplus /nolog"? Can you post the output here?

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

I did some research for your problem - there might be a problem with the os user rights of the user which starts the installation (user is not local administrator?)

Try to run "E:\usr\sap\NW4\SYS\exe\run/brconnect -u / -c -f crsyn -o SAPNW4" manually. If this finishes successfully, you can restart sapinst with the option SAPINST_SKIP_ERRORSTEP=true and continue the installation.

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elmar,

Thank you for your valuable suggestion!

When I run brconnect manually....The result is:

BR0152E Environment Variable ORACLE_SID is not set.

I think that's why the return value of this command is 3, not 0.

This is important, because I've neglected this warning previously.

However, even I've set this ORACLE_SID in OS, it seems doesn't work.

Now, I've noticed that on the File System, only this path exists:E:\Oracle\NW4\920\BIN\; NOT E:\ORACLE\NW4\920\BIN\;

During the installaiton of Oracle 10.2, I've input the E:\ORACLE\NW4\920 as the home dir, but it seems oracle has created E:\Oracle\NW4\920 instead. It seems interesting...

If I'm right.. Maybe during the installation of oracle, case sensitive is not a problem, however for the SAP, it's important. Am I right? I'm not sure at all.

Any advice? It seems more and more interesting.

Thank you, dear all.

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

<i>> When I run brconnect manually....The result is:

> BR0152E Environment Variable ORACLE_SID is not set.</i>

You should log on as <sid>adm (nw4sid in your system) to run the brconnect command. If it does not work as <sid>adm, check if ORACLE_SID is set in the user environment of <sid>adm (use "set" to display the environment).

If ORACLE_SID is not set (even after logging off/logging on), then there are more problems in your installation than it seems...

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elmar,

I've logged on using nw4adm;

When I run brconnect, the error:

BR0301E SQL error -1017 at location db_connect-2, SQL statement:

'CONNECT /'

ORA-01017: invalid username/password: logon denied

BR0310E connect to database instance NW4 failed

Does it mean authentication problem for nw4adm user?

nw4adm belongs to ORA_NW4_DBA & ORA_NW4_OPER & Administrators group

Or other possibilities?

Thanks.

Message was edited by:

Dennis Wu

Message was edited by:

Dennis Wu

Former Member
0 Kudos

<i>> Does it mean authentication problem for nw4adm user?</i>

Maybe the OPS$ connect users are not yet set up correctly, as you are still in a running installation. Pls. try "-u system/<password>" instead of "-u /" (<password> might be "manager").

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dennis -

I too faced the same problem and as a solution I went ahead with the execution as per

"SAP Note Number: 50088 Creating OPS$ users on Windows NT/Oracle"

Please execute teh Script attached with this; "oradbusr10.ZIP"

Kind Regards,

Raza.