cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to execute FTP server put command!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i am uploading a flatfile into the application server using FTP !

for that i had logged into the respective application server in CMD prompt and

enter the following statement ( OS : WINDOWS XP )

PUT filepath\filename

But i am not able to upload the file.

is it correct ? or am i missing something?

Thanks,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First thing make sure that both the system has been FTP configured.After that,

Open a command prompt (Start/Run/cmd)

change directories to the location where you'd like to serve up files...

for example if you want to put a file on a remote system from your c:/ means

Enter cmd as

C:\>ftp

ftp>open ipaddr

>user:

>pwd:

ftp>dir

ftp>asc

ftp>put test1.txt test2.txt

it will go to the remote sytem...see the ftp root directory in yr remote system....

Try this way...

Regards,

Gopinathan.T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Ravi,

Follow these steps for setting up FTP on Windows XP

For any Windows workstation to be able to accept FTP connections, an FTP server must be installed and active.

<b>Windows 2000 and XP</b>

Setting up an FTP server in Windows XP Professional or in Windows 2000 involves the installation of Internet Information Services (IIS). This suite of Windows components handles all the functions formerly handled by NT's Peer Web Services. IIS, and consequently FTP server capability, is not included in Windows XP Home Edition.

Note: IIS is known to have serious security flaws and has been targeted by several computer viruses, including Code Red and Nimda. If you install IIS on your computer, UITS strongly advises that you also install any security update patches available from Microsoft. The appropriate patches for Windows 2000 are available at the following URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/critical/q300972/default.asp

Microsoft claims that Windows XP already blocks the viruses in question, but you should check frequently for any updates that may be released. See the following site for IIS updates:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/iis/Default.asp

<b>Installing IIS</b>

For Windows XP Professional systems running in the default Start menu configuration, click Start, then Control Panel, then Add or Remove Programs. In Windows 2000 (or in XP if it is set to classic Start menu view), click Start, then Settings, then Control Panel, then double-click Add/Remove Programs.

Note: In Windows XP, the default desktop view and Start menu are quite different than they are in the Windows Classic View (e.g., in Windows 2000). Therefore, navigating to certain items may be different in XP; for example, the path from the Start menu to the Control Panel in the default XP view is simply Start, then Control Panel, whereas in the Classic View it is Start, then Settings, then Control Panel. In the interest of broad applicability, most instructions in the Knowledge Base assume that you are using the Classic View. There are several steps you can take to switch from the Windows XP default view to the Windows Classic View. For more information, see the Knowledge Base document In Windows XP, how do I switch to the Windows Classic View, Classic theme, or Classic Control Panel?

<b>Click Add/Remove Windows Components.</b>

Double-click Internet Information Services. This will open another window listing the IIS subcomponents.

Check the box next to File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Server. The Common Files and Internet Information Services Snap-In boxes will also check by default. Make sure no other boxes are checked, then click OK.

Note: Windows may prompt you for your Windows CD at this point.

<b>Configuring the FTP Server</b>

On the desktop, double-click My Computer, then double-click the hard drive on which you have Windows installed.

Open the folder inetpub. Right-click the ftproot folder and select Properties.

Click the Sharing tab. Select the radio button Share this folder, then click Permissions. From the list that appears, select Everyone, and then click Remove.

Click the Add... button. In the drop-down list, select your computer's name. In the list of user groups that appears in the center scroll box, select Users, then click Add, followed by OK. In the Permissions window, set the access level. If a user only needs to download files from your computer, set the access to Read. To give upload permission, also check Change. Click OK.

Create User accounts for each of the individuals who will need to access your server. You can do so by opening the Control Panel, then double-clicking the Users and Passwords icon. For each user, you will need to provide a username and domain.

In the main Control Panel window, double-click Administrative Tools, then double-click the Computer Management icon. A new window will open. On the left, beside Services and Applications, click the + (plus sign), and then click the + (plus sign) beside Internet Information Services.

Right-click Default FTP server and select Properties. Under "Services", make sure that Allow anonymous connections is not checked. This will prevent unauthorized access to your workstation. Click OK, then close all windows.

After that,

Go to cmd.

type >ftp

>open

>to hostname or ipaddr

>give uid & pwd

>put sourceFilename targetFilename

I hope it will be useful for u..

Thanks & Regards,

Gopinathan.T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gopi,

Thanks for the reply!

problem is not with setting up of FTP server on windows XP.

FTP server is of course active !

i had logged in to the application server by typing FTP < server Name >

it had asked for username and password

i had entered both

and i could naviagate thru the directory into which i need to upload the desktop file.

and when i execue the command PUT filename

nothing happenes! just it goes to the next statement

and i when i see the contents of the current directory, i could not see the one i wish to upload

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

If I understood your problem properly , this is the solution

Once you have logged on to the application server..navigate to the directory where you need the files to be uploaded.

change the mode to binary and then move files.

Use the GET command for moving the files from desktop to application server.

ftp>cd < destination>

ftp>bin (to change the mode to binary)

ftp>get <file name>

It should work. let me know once it is done.

regards,

Vinodh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can try this way.

put localfile remotefile

will send the file on the local host machine with the name localfile to the remote machine with the name remotefile. When the file's name consists of two or more parts separated by spaces, such as a CMS file identifier, the parts of the name should be separated by periods; for example:

fname.ftype.B1