cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threads identification problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to get a report of the most CPU consuming Threads and to which application belongs each thread?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have Solution Manager Diagnostics installed and also Willy Introscope 7.1 but Willy was an initiative from other team so is not integrated yet with Diagnostics, nevertheless I have access to Willy's Workstation and I only can see General Overview of Threads no details about which thread is consuming most of the CPU time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

please note that the server has an application thread pool like all j2ee servers I am familiar with. After a thread has finished let's say serving the HTTP request from application A the thread will be reused to serve application B.

Thus, you can determine at any given time by thread dump which application is consuming which thread (SAP note 743191 describes it very well as stated above) However any general statistics of mapping threads to specific application cannot be done.

An interesting piece of information is that in the newer releases the SAP JVM has the feature of printing in the thread dump the CPU consumption from each thread together with the current stacktrace.

HTH

Peter.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

An interesting piece of information is that in the

newer releases the SAP JVM has the feature of

printing in the thread dump the CPU consumption from

each thread together with the current stacktrace.

You ´re talking about SAP VM 5.0?

We have likewise issues (BI-Java) and it´s pretty cumbersome to find out, what´s going on on the VM if it´s "stuck".

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, about the SAP JVM which is Java 5.0 compliant. It comes by default with the new NetWeaver Composition Environment. But as far as I know there is no AIX support at the moment.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check Note 742395 - Analyzing High CPU usage by the J2EE Engine

and for AIX the corresponding note

Note 743191 - Analyzing High CPU usage by the J2EE Engine: AIX

This is a one-time snapshot analysis. If you want to this permantenly you will need to implement Solution manager Diagnostics + Wily Introscope.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

The J2EE that I want to inspect is running over an IBM AIX 5.3 system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you use Windows you can use free Process Explorer http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

For first step you get most CPU consuming processes in the tree, then make right click on it and choose properties, there is Threads tab in it. There you can see all threads of this process and have possibility to sort it by CPU usage.