cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA used for APO-DP Extraction process

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am under the impression that with NW2004s it is now mandatory to use a PSA for data extraction in BW. I am looking at a screenshot now where every other option besides PSA is greyed out. First of all, am I doing something wrong or is this true?

Secondly, with SCM 5.0 are you allowed to do an extraction without using a PSA?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

According to SAP "You can continue to create and use 3.x InfoSources, however, we recommend that you use the new InfoSource concept with the new transformation concept."

In the contecxt menus for the RSA1 Objects you can use the Infosource 3.x option wherein you dont need to use the PSA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are there any reasons why I wouldn't want to remove the PSA from my extraction process chain? What are the disadvantages, if any?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

SAP has changed the concept of data loading in NW2004s. What you are seeing is nothing wrong. Previously data load from the source system used to be loaded to a data staging area like an ODS or cube and PSA is just an optional entity. SO you create a source system, the infosource, create an info package and load it to the ODS or cube. But in the NW2004s, the concept is changed to limit your info package load only till the PSA and then use a Data Transfer Process (DTP) to load from this PSA to the ODS or cube.

Now that makes the PSA mandatory.

Finally answers for your questions are:

First of all, am I doing something wrong or is this true?

No. You are not doing anything wrong. It's the new data loading concept.

Secondly, with SCM 5.0 are you allowed to do an extraction without using a PSA?

No if you use a 7x data source, yes if you use a 3x datasource. If you want to use the 3x, use the transaction RSA1OLD and for 7x, use RSA1. Remember if you convert from 3x to 7x, you cannot revert back.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Visu, that did answer some of my questions. But ultimately I am trying to find out if there are any disadvantages to not using a PSA for extractions? I can cut my APO extraction process chain time by 50% if I don't use a PSA, but what am I missing out on by doing this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

It's true that you can cut your time by not using the PSA. But incase you have a failure somewhere, you have a backup in your PSA and there are more advantages like even before loading, if you want to just load to PSA and simulate, you can ...and more... but the most important part is backup. The time you save by not having is not significant. Even with a million records being loaded, it takes only 5 minutes. It definitely depends on the hardware and the programming logic involved. It's your choice to not use a PSA and save some time or use a PSA and loose a little time but you are on the safe side. SAP recommends using PSA.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great. Thank you!

Answers (0)