cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of start and Default macro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me know the difference between the start and Default macro in the performance point of view.

Thanks,

SIva.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Start macro executes when you load data into Interactive Planning table from the shuffler selection. Default macro executes whenever you hit enter, save data in Interactive planning table. So typically a default macro executes much more than a start macro (ideally once in a session).

In case you have a heavy (many steps) macro see if it makes sense to run as Start rather than a default macro. That should improve performance of interactive planning.

somnath

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somnath,

Thanks for your detail explanation.

Regards,

Siva.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Siva,

I will highlight my experience with a Level Change macro.

I had defined a macro such that it will would be executed at "Level 1", which is the first drill down. The macro is supposed to calculate alerts based on deviation from the plan.

I loaded the data for a particular SKU and drilled down on customer characteristic. When I displayed data only for one customer the macros did not run. However when I used the "Details All" option (I drilled down on all the customers), then the macro ran correctly and generated alerts. Thus is needed all the values of the drilldown characteristics for it to be executed.

Thus I feel that "Level" macro allows you specify the exact drill down level at which is will run

regards,

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somnath,

The level macro is defined as 'A level change macro is executed when the planner drills up or down in interactive planning' so if a macro 'A' is placed under the default or start macro then there is no necessity to keep the same macro 'A' in the level macro right? Please clarify.

Thanks,

Siva.

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

You need to keep the macro under Level Change to make sure the macro executes when you drill-down. A start macro will not necessarily execute after you drill-down or drill-up. The default macro will strictly not execute immediately upon drill-down or drill-up. It will execute only when you have made some changes and hit enter post drill-down or drill-upp. This that point in time the default macro will not kick in.

Please see the standard macros defined in the SNP94(1) data view. The Stock Balance, Safetry Stock/Reorder Point, Day's Supply macros are set as default. So these will execute everytime there is a change in the data. The Determine Workdays macro is set as Start and Level Change. The result of this macro is a pre-requisite for computation of the Day's Supply macro. However the values computed by this macro will not change within a session (determined by the SD Calendar for the location) hence there is no point executing it as a default macro (reduce the system load). So its run as Start Macro. If you drill down by location then you need this macro to execute again as the SD Calendar for each different locations can result in different values. Based on that the Day's Supply Value will be recomputed. Hence its important to set it as a Level Change macro as well. On the other hand as the Total Demand, Total Receipts and Stock data changes the Day's Supply value also needs to change - hence the macro is set as Default macro.

It is important to note other Standard macros (i.e. Start and Level Change) execute before the Default Macros.

Hope this explains well.

Thanks,

somnath