cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"dependent char specs" push botton

Former Member
0 Kudos

what is "dependent char specs" push botton in char overview screen of QP01.

how to use it?

explain in details pls.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member196398
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sandip,

Is this resolved?

Regards,

Prasobh

former_member196398
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sandip,

For similar material if the same plan is used and if a particular characteristic needs to be inpected based on individual materail then we can use dependent characteristic for this purpose.

example:

I have a rods of different diameters which are maintained as individual material masters in SAP. I have generic Inspection plan assigned to all the rod materials, and in this case i have "Diameter" as one of the characteristic to be measured but the "Target value" and accordingly different "Upper & Lower" specification limits.

In this case i assign a dependent characteristic to differentiate different values and this is assigned to the materials accordingly.

Hope this helps....

Example:

Target value USL LSL

Rod1 1 1.25 0.90

Rod2 2 2.5 1.75

Rod3 4 4.25 3.5

For this scenario first I create a plan with an operation with control key QM01,

1. Now select the operation and hit the "Inspection characteristic" icon.

2. Here for characteristic 10 activate "QN" check box to make this a quantative characteristic.

3. I define the control indicators as "Target value", LSL, USL and suitable sampling procedure. I also define summarize recording and activate defects recording check box.

4. Now assign the value of Target value, USL & LSL (may be in this case i would use the first value). (Hit the material assignment tab and assign the materials rod2, rod3 also to the plan).

5. Now we need to differentiate for the other 2 materails for that, i now select charateristic 10 and hit "Dependent charactertistic" button.

6. Now hit the + icon, system would populate all the materails assigned to this plan. Here i select the materail rod2.

7. Now a record is formed for rod2, maintain the values for Target value, USL & LSL.

8. Repeat the steps 6 to 7 for rod3.

Save the plan... Now if a inspection lot is created for rod2 it would look for the dependent characteristic and it will take the values from there.

Hope this helps...Reward your points and close this thread,

Regards,

Prasobh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sandip,

I am aware of this from the calculated charateristics point of view. For example a characteristic value may be calculated based on the results of other charactristics. So the dependent chara. becomes the charc which is used in calculation.

You can explore further with the following SAP notes:

Use of Leading and Dependent Characteristics

Use

To ensure that there is no conflict between the inspection stages for a characteristic in an operation, define leading and dependent characteristics.

You use leading and dependent characteristics in connection with:

Dynamic modification at characteristic level

The system determines the appropriate inspection stage using the specifications in the dynamic modification rule and updates the stage in the quality level for the characteristic.

Recording results

If you accept some characteristics and reject others, inspection characteristics in an operation may have different inspection stages, for example, some characteristics are in the "skip" stage, while others are in the "normal" or "tightened" stage.

If the current inspection stage for a leading characteristic requires a "skip," but a skip is not allowed for one of the dependent characteristics because of its characteristic weighting (defined in Customizing), the skip only applies to the leading characteristic. The dependent characteristic must be inspected after the next inspection stage contained in the dynamic modification rule for the leading characteristic.

Calculated characteristics

If the two input characteristics have different inspection stages, the system cannot calculate the characteristics correctly.

A calculated characteristic depends on the values or results of two input characteristics. If these have different inspection stages (for example, "normal" and "skip"), the system cannot calculate the formula in the calculated characteristic because one of the input characteristics is not inspected (in a "skip" stage ).

Prerequisites

The following must be available in the system:

Dynamic modification rule

Sampling procedures

The leading characteristic must be a required characteristic.

A dynamic modification rule is assigned to the leading characteristic.

The leading characteristic does not reference another leading characteristic (not checked by the system).

Activities

In the inspection plan header, you define dynamic modification at characteristic level.

On the inspection characteristic overview screen, mark the inspection characteristic that you want to define as the leading characteristic for the operation.

You set the indicators Sampling procedure and Required characteristic in the control indicators for this inspection characteristic.

Enter the required data for the characteristic.

You enter a dynamic modification rule for the inspection characteristic.

You mark all other inspection characteristics in the operation (or in the characteristic group) that you want to be treated as dependent inspection characteristics.

You can assign the same leading characteristic to different dependent characteristics in an operation. You can create several characteristic groups within an operation.

On the sample screen, do not enter a dynamic modification rule as before, but enter the number of the leading characteristic.

If you use calculated characteristics in an inspection plan, only enter a dynamic modification rule for the calculated characteristic. Reference the calculated characteristic as a leading characteristic in the calculation input characteristics.

Regards

Ram