cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am .NET Developer , Now I Want to Start My Career in SAP.

Can Any body Please explain me What is SAP And What is the Use of it when Comparing with other Technologies.

Please Explain me Literally. Dont Farward Doc's

Points will be Rewarded

Regards

Vamsi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>>What is SAP

SAP stands for Systems Applications and Products. With such an acronym, you can easily guess that SAP makes business software and in fact it is the top business software maker.

SAP's products focus on Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), which it helped to pioneer. The company's main product is mySAP ERP. The name of its predecessor, SAP R/3 gives a clue to its functionality: the "R" stands for realtime data processing and the number 3 relates to a 3-tier architecture: database, application server and client (SAPgui). R/2, which ran on a Mainframe architecture, was the first SAP version.

Other major product offerings include Advanced Planner and Optimizer (APO), Business Information Warehouse (BW), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Supply Chain Management (SCM), Supplier Relationship Management (SRM), Human Resource Management Systems (HRMS), Product Lifecycle Management (PLM), Exchange Infrastructure (XI), Enterprise Portal (EP) and SAP Knowledge Warehouse (KW).

The APO name has been retired and rolled into SCM. The BW name (Business Warehouse) has now been rolled into the SAP NetWeaver BI (Business Intelligence) suite and functions as the reporting module.

The company also offers a new technology platform, named SAP NetWeaver which replaces SAP Business Connector for Integration/middleware capabilities [4] and offers a systematic approach to Enterprise SOA solutions with a collection of products. While its original products are typically used by Fortune 500 companies, SAP is now also actively targeting small and medium sized enterprises (SME) with its SAP Business One and SAP All-in-One.

SAP officials say there are over 100,600 SAP installations serving more than 38,000 companies in more than 120 countries, which are used by more than 12 million people in more than 120 countries[citation needed].

SAP holds a partnership with Hewlett-Packard. This partnership will expand around new services linked to NetWeaver and Enterprise SOA (service-oriented architecture). The software infrastructure for business applications developed by SAP is to be upgraded by Hewlett-Packard. One of the services to be upgraded is the Discovery System which was launched by SAP earlier this year. Among other services there are assessment, government and architecture for R3.[5]

Source- Wikipedia

regards

krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I Want to Know How it will be Useful when Comming to the real time.

Will u Please Explain With One Example

Regards

Vamsi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I Want to Know How it will be Useful when coming to the real time

By integration all the operations the data available in real time

Example: If a credit manager increases customer credit limit in finance.

Customer rep can see the change right away in sales.

If not real time the rep has to wait until the batch process runs that could be hours or days depends on the frequency of the batch runs; If a customer calls in before the batch runs customer rep making decisions based on the outdated data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sir

Thanks for the information.

It is worth for me and others who are new in SAP.

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Yogesh

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vamsi,

I was also woking on .net before coming into SAP XI and I am also a learner in this, so cant help u much but can help u in udnerstanding SAP with refrence to .NEt. Lot of info already provided in above responses, jus find if dis info is helpful to u..

as in .Net we break a particular application in diffrent modules like admin and user same way SAP is as a whole an application with lots of modules like CRM, FM,EP and all these modules are linked to each other with a centralised Data base.

SAP R/3 of which the present mySAP R/3 is an enhancement was a Three tier technolgy same as .NET(user interface, data base and application server).

Now in an organisation we have various departments which have various functions and thus require and provide diff information, but all this information is common to the organisation as a whole, so SAP provids a solution where all these deptt. are treated as various modules and are linked to each other with the central database.

The programing language that we used to develop diffrent scenarios according to a specific business requirement is ABAP or J2EE.

As different business units have diffrent requirements and diffrent structures SAP has given the flexibillity to its users to use SAP as per there requirements.

SAP XI is a middleware which helps to make a bridge b/w two diff SAP systems or a SAP system and various non-SAP system. SAP XI is a part of SAP Netweaver technology and infomation of all this is very well displayed on SDN and the other SDN members will be really helpful to u to understand this vast technology...,,so jus get ready to board the ship and sail into the vast sea of SAP

All the best and plz share the info so that i can also learn along with u...

n all pls correct me if m wrong any where...

Regards

Rookie

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

I get lot of good information.

Thnks

Regards

Yogesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vasmi;

SAP is an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning ) product of SAP.

Its an integrated tool to automate the day ato day funcioning of an enterprise.

There are various technologies as a part of SAP you can move to.

I have seen many people moving from .Net to SAP netweaver XI which in a middleware tool of SAP.

If you are interested toward the coding part you can learn ABAP language and switch to it.

Mudit

former_member529475
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Vamsi

Welcome to the SAP World.

SAP, started in 1972 by five former IBM employees in Mannheim, Germany, states that it is the world's largest inter-enterprise software company and the world's fourth-largest independent software supplier, overall.

The original name for SAP was German: Systeme, Anwendungen, Produkte, German for "Systems Applications and Products." The original SAP idea was to provide customers with the ability to interact with a common corporate database for a comprehensive range of applications. Gradually, the applications have been assembled and today many corporations, including IBM and Microsoft, are using SAP products to run their own businesses.

IN Sap, we have 3 kinds of jobs

1. Functional

2. Basis (Administration)

3. Technical

Let me know if any doubts plz

Cheers..

Vasu

<i>** Reward Points if found useful **</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

IN Sap, we have 3 kinds of jobs

1. Functional

2. Basis (Administration)

3. Technical

-

Hi Vasudeva,

You forgot

4.Project Manager!

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you try a google? maybe you should!

Former Member
0 Kudos

not maybe ..

say must

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vamsi,

It may not be possible to explain what SAP is without sending documents

However in brief Systems Applications and Programing in data processing (SAP) is one of the ERP (Enterprise resource planning) modules.

I suggest first try to understand what SAP is and then compare with other technologies.

Ravi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry P stands for Products not for programming....( it was mistake).

former_member187437
Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP Labs is a market leader in the field of ERP. (ERP- Enterprise Resource Planing, these software packages are used to maintain the overall operations (hr,finance,material management) of a company. This reduces the cost compared to the use of separate softwares for each department and integration of all )

SAP-R/3 is a erp package of sap-labs.