cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing problems in ITS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I've got a smal problem which I hope can be resiolved with your valuable inputs -

There is a Module pool in R/3 from which the ITS templates and the flow logic have been generated.

There’s a table control on the R/3 screen, which appears on the front-end as well. Now when the user enters some

data on the browser and hits a button, the form is submitted and the PAI for the corresponding R/3 screen is

triggered. The data is now validated in R/3 and is posted to an IDoc. The screen is now refreshed and the data is

cleared.

The requirement is that when the screen reloads after successful validation and posting on the R/3 side, the

data that was entered should automatically be printed to the local printer of the user. No SAP Scripts / SMARTFORMs

can be used for this purpose. Also, the user wants no other screen to appear which would show him the data

about to be printed (perhaps in a pop-up). In fact, the process of printing should not be made transparent to the

user.

There were two options that we could think of –

1. The data that has to be printed is available in an internal table in the R/3. Now, somehow this data could

be sent to the front end’s printer directly.

2. More preferably, we might be able to send the data back from the R/3 to the front-end, and on load of the

HTML page on the front-end, somehow invoke the printer using JavaScript or other means. (the data to be printed

will not be visible on the screen to the user.)

But we haven’t been able to figure out how this can be actually achieved. I will be much obliged to you if you

could suggest the solution to this problem.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185704
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand Mandalika,

This sounds a bit strange to me - maybe I didn't get your question right.

Option 2 is IMHO technically impossible and ethically questionable.

There is no (legal) way to force the web browser to print a document on a printer without showing the user

a) the document and

b) the printing dialogue (that he has to confirm to start the printout).

Please tell me if I misunderstood your question.

Best regards,

Henning.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Henning,

I'm sorry for this late response to your reply. But I'm almost certain that you have understood the question <i>correctly</i> :-).

The user wants the print to be triggerred automatically, without requiring his intervention / confirmation. The moment the data has been successfully validated, it should get printed on his front-end printer and he should be able to go on with his work on the new form.

I agree with you that it is not the right way to do it. I had no idea of the technical possibility of the same. I thought that it shouldn't be possible to do it.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

former_member185704
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Just an idea:

What about storing the data that should be printed somewhere in R/3 and let the user start a print job manually after - let's say - a day's work manually. The print job could consist of one page for each dataset. If you generate a PDF document from the data this document could be accessed via ITS and downloaded to the user's browser where a print job can be started manually.

Best regards

Henning.