cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NW 2004S SR2 - Oracle Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to install EP+WAS for WebDynpro application. We have NW2004S SR2 CDs/dvds available with us. Redhat linux adv server is the OS and Oracle is the database. We have installed JDK and set environment variables etc. We have already installed Oracle10.2

Can we now start sapint installation on the top of existing oracle database? Or oracle need to be installed during NW installation. Pls help

regards,

Sujesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yup you can now start the installation...sapinst will tell you that it is ready for the oracle installation - if that step is already finished just go on with the installation of the database instance...

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We had installed oracle before starting sapinst. The SID was "ORCL". Now when i started sapinst installation, its asking oracle SID which is 3 chars. Can i go ahead and put a new SID? Is it mandatory that we need to put an existing SID itself? Pls advice

Thanks

Sujesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sujesh,

you shouldn't install Oracle before running sapinst; ORCL is not allowed as SID.

Installing the Oracle software before running sapinst might work, but is not the supported way of installing SAP products.

Deinstall the Oracle software, run sapinst until it tells you to install the Oracle software. Then log on as ora<sid> and install the Oracle software as told by sapinst.

You can find the SAP installation guides here: http://service.sap.com/instguides.

Best regards,

Elmar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Elmer for your reply.

so if i understood you correctly

1) start sapinst in linux server.

2) sapinst will stop and ask us to install oracle software

3)we need to install oracle software provided by SAP

4)then continue sapinst

One more clarification.

I have 2 linux servers and we need to install NW on one server and oracle on other. Is this possible? How will we go about it? Pls help

regards,

Sujesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sujesh,

<i>> 1) start sapinst in linux server.

> 2) sapinst will stop and ask us to install oracle software

> 3)we need to install oracle software provided by SAP

> 4)then continue sapinst

</i>

That sounds good.

<i>> I have 2 linux servers and we need to install NW on one server and oracle on other. Is this possible? How will we go about it? Pls help</i>

That's possible.

- Install the central instance on host A, enter the hostname of host B as database server when prompted

- Install the database instance on host B.

The whole installation procedure is very well documented here: http://service.sap.com/instguides

Best regards,

Elmar.

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 3)we need to install oracle software provided by SAP

<b>be sure to answer NO when asked if a database should be created</b> by the oracle installer...db creation + filling will be done by sapinst later on (during database instance installation)

GreetZ, AH