cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualization on AIX 5.3 and above with SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am inquiring about anyone running AIX 5.3 using virtualization for DB and application servers. Does it work well ?? Any major hurdles you have hit ?? I am looking into new H/W for are aging 7026 systems and the virtual servers look good on paper and what I have seen in one class, but I am trying to find out how it's working in the real world for SAP. I can always still size smaller servers and keep things running one per server with no virtualization, but it adds more boxes to the rack, more electricity, etc.

We are currently at 4.6C on R/3 using an Informix db, and I need to move over to a new system, running db2, then do a unicode upgrade, then finally move to ecc 5.0 or 6.0 before we run out of extended maintenance. So as you can see, a lot of work, so if I can avoid any pitfalls with virtualization, that would help.

thanks!!

Lloyd Campbell

SAP Basis / AIX System Administrator

Universal Instruments Corp.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's there: SAP Note 994025 - Improvements in monitoring virtualized OS environments

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lloyd,

you are on the safe side if you go with a virtualized environment on AIX 5.3 and System p. There are many customers, who reported positive feedback running SAP systems on that platform.

I will send you some documents separately, which describe that both technically as well as the business benefits.

Go with a shared processor pool covering all CPUs and create shared processor LPARs for all the application pieces incl. DB (one egg, one basket). Manage the OS images with NIM (network installation manager within AIX). Run everything over 2 VIO servers. The secret of leveraging the full potential of virtualization on AIX is to mix and match everything over everything. So if you have 2 System p boxes, mix and match prod and non-prod, various application types over both machines and you will experience a scalable and flexible environment for all the changes you have in front of you.

A very special capabilitiy is the OS monitoring integrated into CCMS. You get detailled information on the LPARs and the resource consumption. Please refer to Note 994025.

Kind regards,

Irene Hopf

International SAP IBM Competence Center, Walldorf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Irene,

I gave Georg prmission to give you my email. On the note 994025 , it does not exist when I do a notes search ??

regards,

Lloyd Campbell

SAP Basis / AIX System Administrator

Universal Instruments Corp.