cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Hierarchy Variables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm trying to display my hierarchy in VC from a query where the hierarchy is marked as active.

I want to be able to use a hierarchy variable (Variable Type: User Entry) where the user enters the node hierarchy and the children and their corresponding net amounts are displayed in a table in Visual Composer.

Using the hierarchy variable (that I created in 3.5 Query Designer), works fine in Analyzer and I get the results I need.

When I try to use this variable in Visual Composer and add value help to it, the following occurs.

It looks at all the children values in the infoobject(on which the hierarchy is active) and doesn't recognize that I'm actually using a heirarchy variable as opposed to the regular infoobject variable . Thus when value help is pulled up, only the values for the children are shown and not their parents (nodes).

I have read the blog on drill up and drilldown features for hierarchies and that's not what my business analysts are looking for.

Has anyone come across this issue or is there something I'm missing?

Any kind of help would be appreciated! Points will definitely be awarded!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone has answers to this?

Thanks!!

Mansha

0 Kudos

Hi Mansha,

I think you are right that the value help does not take care of the hierarchy node variables. it works only for the characteristic variables.

as a workaround, you can use the web_api field in the input port. here is an example of input you can give to web_api field as input:

'VAR_NAME_1=HIER_CM;VAR_NODE_IOBJNM_1=0ORGUNIT;VAR_VALUE_EXT_1=50000026'

HIER_CM is the technical name of the variable, 0ORGUNIT is the techname of the infoobject that the variable based on, and 50000026 is the external value of the infoobject.

for details, you can check BW3.5's web api documentation.

best regards,

Shan

former_member201781
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shan,

I do have the same problem as in this thread. My question is I used the variables port in my VC app. How do I utilize web_api field of input port since I know that you can only use variables or input port but not both?

Thanks,

-- Jamie.

0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

as a workaround, you can use web_api field for all your variable inputs, in addition to the hierarchy variables. as a fact, the input to the variable port is translated to web api as well.

you can check the syntax for web api in the BW 3.5 online documentation. normally they are in this form:

"VAR_NAME_1=variable techname;VAR_VALUE_EXT_1=characteristic's external value;VAR_NAME_2=....;VAR_VALUE_EXT_2=..."

regards,

Shan

former_member201781
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shan,

Thank you for the reply. I will try it out.

Thanks!

-- Jamie.