Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore and backup suggestions for Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Our OS is HP unix and oracle 9.2.0.

We are taking offline backups every week.We want test those backups .

1. After taking offline backup in test system, I want to delete some data or controlfile and I want to Restore from tape.How can I procedd?

2.What is the best method to test backup in the tape is good for restore?

3.If we are getting only 1-2 GB offline redologfiles for day what the best backup strategy?

Regards

Nani

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Whst is ezactly u want to test here ?

2.restore and test in a test system bring up data base

3.Daily archive backup is recmdd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

1.I will take testsystem backup first after that delete one file from testsystem next restore files from from backup.If every thing fine and test system up,So we will come our backup taking method is correct .

2.next we will take PRD system backup then restore these files to test system.take trace file using sqlcommand from PRD system.copy this trace file to test system.in the trace file change system id from PRD to TST and change all files locations.next run the trace file from sqlplus then start the database.is the process is correct?

3. Our main result is to test the backups.If I will restore PRD backup successfully into test system after that I can send the tape to safe place.So is there any utility to check all files in tape are good and restore able.how can I check?

Regards

nani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

have a look on note 605062 this will guide u through most questions.

Some of the tips for backup

Always do periodic backups ,Consider off-site storage Store media carefully Archive incremental backups Incremental and Full backups are linked

Hints for reliable restores=>Maintain two restoration paths,Verifying your database

Recover is not as imortant, because you recover based on what you have backed up

Ans to ur questions

1.It is called as recovery drill.It does not ans abt backup method.Here ur restoring one file what abt other files.But this is one of recovery test process.

2.Yes this is the one u need to test but all the steps are required if ur naming from PRD to TST.U restore as PRD in other system and can test ur restore or Backup.

But this will give u correct result abt ur backup.

3.Yes ur Abs;ly right.

I guess data integrity tool such as Veracity,Exabyte's "Disaster-Tested" tape backup and restore products and some tools prov by EMC and Veritas and Even IBM.

Vinod