cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP WAS 6.40 installation hangs up on Windows 2000 Pro. sp4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am facing an issue while installing SAP WAS 6.40 Preview on Windows 2000 sp4 prof. During "MaxDB Database Internal Installation (post processing)" phase, the installation process hanged up.

Configuration :

P4 2.4 GHz

512 MB RAM

j2sdk 1.4.2_05

Can anybody please help me out on this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member200748
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chiranjeevi

The problem seems to be the size of your Memory.

WAS installation requires RAM of atleast 1 GB size for optimum performance. That should be the reason why your installtion process hung up.

However to overcome your current issue you could cancel the last step, choose the 'Stop' option and then start the installation of SP4 again.However in this case make sure to chosse the 'Continue old installation option'. This will ensure that the installation process continues from where it had stopped earlier.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Priya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

First of all thanks for your response. Actually, I downloaded the SAPinst_SP_WAS640.exe from sdn.sap.com site, and I was trying to install it on Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack4(previous configuration).

Any ways, I tried the option that you have suggested also ( stop the last step and continue with old installation option). But no progress with that.

And also we tried with 2GB RAM on Windows 2000 server, But the issue is same.

Can you please suggest with other pointers.

Thanks & Regards

Chiranjeevi Aluri.

former_member200748
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chiranjeevi

Rather than downloading the SAPinst.exe file, you could do the following

1. Download the J2EE<patch level>.SAR files corresponding to your database and operating system.

2. Download the 'CTRL<patch level>.SAR' file.

3. Download the 'SAPINST<patch level.SAR>' file.

Also download the SAPCAR file.

These files can be downloaded from http://service.sap.com/swdc.

Put all these files in a directory.

Now go to command prompt, and into the root directory where the .SAR files are present.

Type the following command.

SAPCAR <space> -xvf <space>*.SAR.

The .exe file for your installation would have been extracted.

Now run the installation with this file and check out if this works.

Please keep me posted on the result.

Regards

Priya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chiranjeevi

Download the SAP WAS sp9 from this location

https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/downloads.sdn?page=webas640_sp9_maxdb_download.htm

Sai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai,

I have downloaded the WebAS640SP9.zip file from sdn.sap.com(u suggested). Can you please tell me how to install this on Windows 2000 Prof., Because I am new to this SAP Netweaver. I want to do J2EE related things with this SAP WAS 6.40.

If u provide me the steps to install, it wourld be of Great!! help.

Thanks & Regards

Chiranjeevi Aluri

former_member200748
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chiranjeevi

Here's the procedure to install WAS 6.40.

1. Carry out the base installation from the Web AS installation DVDs.

2. Apply the Support Packages in this order.

a. SP4

b. SP7

c. SP9

Inorder to obtain the setup for the Support Packages you have to download .SAR files from the service marketplace.

To download these files

1. Go to http://service.sap.com/swdc

2. Go to SAP Software Distribution Center -> Download -> Support Packages and Patches -> Entry by application group

3. On the right hand side of the navigation pane, select SAP NetWeaver -> SAp NetWeaver -> SAP NetWeaver 04 ->

Entry by Component -> AS Java -> SAp J2EE engine 6.40.

4. First choose OS independent option. You will see several Support Packages. For example for SP4 select J2EERT04.SAR and add it to the download basket(you could download these later with the help of SAP Download manager).

5. Then again select the operating system (in your case NTI386)from the navigation tree.

6. Choose the CTRL file based on your database and Support Package (eg: for SP4 Oracle, choose CTRLORA04.SAR file)

7. Also choose the J2EERTOS04.SAR and the SAPINST04.SAR files.

Download these files and as i have mentioned earlier, extract them using the SAPCAR and carry out the installation in the order mentioned above.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

Priya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chiranjeevi

Here are the steps

Wizard page name | Actions to be done in this page

1)Welcome | Select "SAP NetWeaver '04 Support Release 1/Java System/MaxDB/Central System/Custom Installation - Java System"

General Parameters | Keep the default values (J2E as the SAP System and Database ID, your hostname as the database host and C: as the installation drive)

CD Browser | Enter <EXTRACT_DIR>\WebAS in the field "Package Location"

Java Development Kit | Enter the location of your local JDK installation (e.g. C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06).

SAP Java Cryptographic Toolkit | Select "Weak Cryptography Level" (as the strong cryptography is not included in this sneak preview).

Windows Domain Select | "Local installation"

OS User Passwords Use admin for both passwords

SCS Instance Keep the default values

Central Instance | Keep the default values

UME Configuration | Select "Use Java system database"

J2EE Engine Passwords | Use admin as the Administrator and SDM password and guest as the Guest password

Database Schema | Again use admin as the password

SLD Choose | "No SLD available"

CD Browser | Enter <EXTRACT_DIR>\MaxDB in the field "Package Location"

MaxDB > Installation Drives | Keep the default values (C: as the installation drive for MaxDB program and database files)

MaxDB > Database Parameters | Keep the default values

MaxDB > Log Volumes | Select a drive of your choice (or keep the default one) and enter 1000 in the column "Size [MB]"

MaxDB > Data Volumes | Select a drive of your choice (or keep the default one) and enter 1000 in the column "Size [MB]"

Start Execution This page displays a summary of the previous settings. Press "Start" to start the installation.

Note Chiranjeevi It takes some time to install it

and user the jdk1.4.2+08 version

<EXTRACT_DIR> means the directory where u have unzipped the SAP WAS SP9

If you have any problem you can mail me at seshasai@persistent.co.in

Sai