cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career Shift to XI from EAI tools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have been working in EAI using with DataStageTX(formely known as Mercator) for past 6 years. Now I am looking fto shift the career into SAP. As I dont have much functional knowledge (I am from Maths background) I am looking for the option of XI. Can you please advice the roadmap for this ?

is it worth shifting ?

how will be career options ?

Can I learn on my own ? I understand I need to learn ABAP first ?

Pls post your thoughts.

Thanks

Karu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Go through Sravyas three part series blogs:

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2007/01/05/gratitude-for-rocking-response-on-the-sap-xi-solid-starter-material133

Check this discussion:

---Satish

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karu,

As you already have EAI tool experience I think coming to XI will be a plus point for you. XI as a middleware is very hot in the market and there are quite much requirements for it these days, so it surely beneficial moving to XI. Having experience of 6 years in EAI and good knowledge of XI will make you an XI Architect some time down the line which is very mcuh required in XI in recent times.

Yes you can learn it by your own, for that you have to dedicate much time and effort. To learn it go thru XI homepage on SDN and Wiki homepage:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/xi

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI

Also check Blogs, Articles,help.sap.com and many other documents available on SDN.

ABAP is not much required in XI. Rather than you can start learning core JAVA if not know. You should understand SAP R/3 and its sturucture,IDOC,BAPI,RFC and others SAP related terms as prerequisites for XI.

Regards,

Subhasha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>is it worth shifting ?

Yes, ofcourse, market is gud.

>>how will be career options ?

you can mould into any of these:

1) Development Consultant

2) Technology Consultant

3) XI Architect

>>Can I learn on my own ?

yes, that is the best way to learn. Try e-learning section, blogs, SDN TV and help.sap.com

>>I understand I need to learn ABAP first ?

yup, atleast you shld know the fundamentals of ABAP. Try Sam's ABAP in 21 days... you can find the e-book too.

All the Best

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please advice the roadmap for this ?

Roadmap would be get an initial understanding of SAP and Netweaver Architecture. Then dig deep into netweaver components

<i>is it worth shifting ? </i>

Yes

<i>

how will be career options ? Can I learn on my own ?</i>

At present.. its quite good.. Yes u can but u want the server access

Regards,

Prateek