Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generic sync / smart sync

Former Member
0 Kudos

this is the first time to get on hand in MI development

i need to develop an application for check stock ,

the device used is Intermec BARCODE Scanner,

every weeks the scanner will sync the material master record from R3 for purpose of check stock , the scanner will scan the quantity of the material in stock and send the data back to R3.

which type of sync is suitable for this scenario ?

Generic Sync or Smart Sync

the scanner will automatically capture the data store in the tag and fill into the JSP without user intervention (for eg key in data manually) , right ? any setting need to be done in the scanner?

pls advice ?

any sample application/blog regarding this BARCODE scanner/pda device that can download from sdn to have a quick start?

Message was edited by:

yzme yzme

Message was edited by:

yzme yzme

Message was edited by:

yzme yzme

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yzme,

If your application is such that, the data need to be synced is large use Smart Sync.

the scanner will automatically capture the data store in the tag and fill into the JSP without user intervention (for eg key in data manually) , right ? any setting need to be done in the scanner? i have given some links here:

you can either opt SAP Console refer this

/people/vijaya.kumari2/blog/2006/01/27/the-move-from-sapconsole-to-mi

For your work refer this thread where i gave links for Demos; it will give you an idea,

Regards

Divya

Former Member
0 Kudos

this link link to first page of mobile forum...pls check

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yzme,

My apologies for that

goto

Expert Forums » Emerging Technologies » RFID

and look for thread with sub:

"Scanning Barcode on RF Device"

Divya

Former Member
0 Kudos

after all the syncBO and wrapper function created in R3

then generate a meRepMeta.xml which contains all the fields details

1) in the front end , nwds part , i just need this meRepMeta.xml to pass the data to the backend R/3 SyncBO ...right...

2)when first synchronization, how the data is being stored, since there is no local DB in the barcode scanner.....(.after download the Material Master record, how i stored in barcode scanner )

Former Member
0 Kudos

merep meta is needed to created DB tables on the client. MI provides barcode reader drives on the client framework.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1)you mean the DB is resides in the client side or R/3 ?

Please clarify or any documentation for this ?

1) take the sample tutorial for generic sync application and smart sync application and try to run , after i click add a record save the data is there as what i save, but my pc doesnt install any DB , ...pls tell me what is going on, how the data is stored

3) when using smart sync , do i really need a replication DB in Mobile Engine (middleware) ?

Message was edited by:

yzme yzme

Message was edited by:

yzme yzme

sandeep_rs
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Yzme,

1. There is a DB on MI client as well. This stores all the meta data about the application deployed on the client as well as the application data sent to the client. When you create data on the client application, this data is stored in the client database and when you sync it goes to the middleware (it continues to stay on the client until a delete request is sent from the middleware)

2. By default, MI makes use of file persistency. So you would not have seen any database. However you can use IBM DB2e as persistency layer as well (check note 677476). You need to buy seperate license for DB2e but you can use the evaluation version during development (available in sdn download page https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/downloads -> MI)

3. If you are using smart sync then MI middleware needs to have the data in order to support the various smart sync features. So yes you will have a replication DB then in the MI middleware.

Best Regards,

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

In response to my question 2 >

where do i check the file that you mentioned ?

it is not the meRepMeta.xml ....right, meRepMeta.xml is medata that you need to pass in and pass out to syncBO ...correct ?

when implementing the smart sync, to get this working to troubleshoot for any kind of issue

Hierarchy Grouping

Device Maintenance

Device Removal

Device Configurations

Parameter Sets

Generic Sync Queue Monitor

Synchronization Monitor

Smart Sync Replication Monitor

SyncBo Processing Statistics

Setup Packages

Mobile Components

Message was edited by:

yzme yzme

sandeep_rs
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Yzme,

You are right. Its not in the meRepMeta.xml. meRepMeta.xml contains information about the strucuture of the SyncBOs used by the application. MI client reads this and creates the necessary DB structures on the client to store data.

To check if you are using file persistency or DB2e persistency just check the parameter "MobileEngine.Persist.Implementation" in the MobileEngine.config file (settings folder). If this has a value of "DB2E" then DB2e is being used. If the parameter is not there then the default file persistence is being used.

An easier way is to just check if you have db2ejdbc.jar in you MI lib folder.

When you install DB2e as an addon this parameter gets set properly and the jar gets added.

Best Regards,

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

MobileEngine.config

i dun have this entry

MobileEngine.Persist.Implementation or DB2E as well

#Fri Jun 22 14:09:25 SGT 2007
MobileEngine.Sync.Proxyused=false
MobileEngine.Sync.Gateway=http://servername:50100/meSync/servlet/meSync?~sysid=N01&
MI.Sync.DataVersion=251300
MobileEngine.Deployment.UpdateJarList=X
MobileEngine.Sync.Proxyport=
MobileEngine.AppLog.Enabled=true
MobileEngine.Sync.ConnectionTimeout=6000
Runtime=tomcat
MobileEngine.Sync.Proxyhost=
Init.UsingTomcatDirs=true
MobileEngine.Sync.Client=100
MobileEngine.Sync.LastSuccessfulSync=1182492565218
MobileEngine.Sync.Gateway.Port=50100
MobileEngine.Sync.Country=MY
MobileEngine.Sync.Gateway.System=N01
MobileEngine.Reg.AlreadyInitialized=true
MobileEngine.Sync.Deviceid=0360CA8D57B01949AD8BE70615112089
MobileEngine.Sync.Gateway.Protocol=http
MobileEngine.UM.SAPLogonTicketWaitingRefresh=1
MobileEngine.Sync.Gateway.Host=servername
MobileEngine.Sync.Pwdencrypted=X
MobileEngine.Runtime.Application.StartAutomatically=CONFIGEXAMPLEJSP
MobileEngine.Sync.Timezone=Asia/Singapore
MobileEngine.Sync.Passwd=
MobileEngine.Sync.Language=EN
MobileEngine.UM.SAPLogonTicketRequestTimeout=10

C:\Program Files\SAP Mobile Infrastructure\lib

i dun see anything like DB2E.jar

sandeep_rs
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Yzme,

That means you are using the default persistency that MI supports - the file persistency.

All your application data will be stored in files and MI simulates a DB through file io operations. You can see these files within the folders inside the data folder. However the files are in binary format and is not readable.

You can either continue to use file persistency or use DB2e. DB2e is recommended since a standard DB engine is always better compared to a file suimulated database.

Best Regards,

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yzme,

For you MobileEngine.config, I understand that you are MI 2.5 SP13 client. That is very old version.

I would suggest you to upgrade to higher version, atleast SP16. Make sure that the MI client SP level is not higher that the MI WAS middleware SP level.

If you are already on SP 16 kindly ignore this message.

Regards,

Rahul

Message was edited by:

Rahul Gavande

Former Member
0 Kudos

yup, you are right , i am using MI2.5 SP 13 as client ....

MI WAS Version is SP 19

different handling of file system ?

Message was edited by:

yzme yzme

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yzme,

Nothing like that.

MI Clilent SP13 is very old version. The new versions are better and have more features.

Regards,

Rahul

sandeep_rs
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Yzme,

Rahul is right. There are a lot of changes in MI client since SP 13. I think you should go with SP 19 on the client as well - its a lot more stable and has much more features compared to SP 13.

Best Regards,

Sandeep

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos