cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

single sign on

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

what is single sing on in xi ?? what is its importance and when we go for that ??

If I am not wrong digital certificates comes along with these single sign on term. Could you please tell me what are these digital certificates and what for we use these ??

thanks

kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In a default configuration, the portal system issues a single SAP logon ticket for the domain of the portal system. Browsers only send the logon ticket to Web servers located in the same DNS domain as the issuer of the logon ticket. For example, if the portal is installed at server.mycompany.com, the logon ticket will only be valid for hosts in that domain, such as server1.mycompany.com. Portal users can only access systems in that domain with Single Sign-On (SSO).

If you want to integrate applications that are located in various DNS domains in the portal and want to provide SSO with logon tickets to these applications, you need a separate logon ticket for every domain. For example, a Business Warehouse system is set up in your company's headquarters in the domain mycompany.com, and a Customer Relationship Management system is installed in the domain mycompany.ie. To enable SSO to applications running on these systems, the Web browser requires a separate logon ticket for both the domain mycompany.com and mycompany.ie.

It is now possible to configure Single Sign-On to systems and applications in different domains. For more information on setting this up, see SAP Library ® SAP NetWeaver ® Security ® User Authentication and Single Sign-On ® Authentication on the Portal ® Single Sign-On ® Single Sign-On with SAP Logon Tickets ® SAP Logon Tickets for Multiple Domains.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/b9/5fc040fa717b2de10000000a155106/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/21/e5db00f98e4e9d8abc241936ca7c67/frameset.htm

Go through the above links .

award me if helpful</u></b>

Regards

Srikanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srikanth,

thanks for your reply! that is alright in case of portal. My query is abt SSO in XI. what is the purpose of SSO in case of XI ?? Even it seems logon ticket concept is there in XI..........but no idea who issues and why they issues and in which adaper or scenario they issue ? I have seen couple of weblogs and threads available on sdn. But as a new to this area want to clear my fundamentals.

thanks

kumar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Palnati,

If you want to logon into RWB, IR, ID, SLD etc you always need to give user id and password. If you enable the single sign on then if you give once the user id and password it will remember automatically. You dont need to give everytime. Baiscally all the J2EE you can go with this single sign on.

Regarding digital certificates you will generate while enabling this in J2EE. Once when you generate you will import this certificate in ABAP stack. Check this document on how to enable this:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/69d95112-0d01-0010-8297-fa31feea...

Check this SAP help for some more information on this:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/32/1c1041a0f6f16fe10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi satish !

how these ditigal certificates will be used for encrypting the messages in XI ?? I have seen couple of blogs doing the same. but how these certifcaes help in encrypting the messages in XI ?? what information in these certificates help in encrypting the messages ??

thanks

kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kumar,

The digital certificate what you are talking in Single Sign on is not related to others.

When we want to do FTPS to the bank then bank give will a digital certifcate which is signed by verisign etc. You will import this into your J2EE. Once when you import this into J2EE you can use it from your file adapter. This will make XI to do FTPS.

The actual content in them would be some keys like public and private keys. If you are sending to the bank then you will have the public key in it and if you receiver they will have the public key and you will have the private key. If these two matches then only the transmission occurs. Hope this gives some idea.

---Satish