Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro service for Benefits service

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am working on EP6.0 SP16 and ECC5.0.

I am trying to modify the ESS Web Dynpro service "Benefits". I see the following description in the ESS online documentation.

<b>Enrollment Locate the document in its SAP Library structure</b>

Technical Data

Runtime Technology : Java/Web Dynpro

Technical Name of iView:com.sap.pct.erp.ess.enrollment

Technical Name of Web Dynpro Application: sap.com/ess~ben/BenefitsApplication

<b>Service Key:EMPLOYEE_BENEFITPAY_OPEN_ENROLLMENT

EMPLOYEE_BENEFITPAY_GENERIC_ENROLLMENT</b>

Available as of: SAP NetWeaver 2004s

Data Origin: SAP ECC 6.0 or above

Software Component: EA-HR

Support: CA-ESS

In the above description, I see the "<b>Service Key

EMPLOYEE_BENEFITPAY_OPEN_ENROLLMENT

EMPLOYEE_BENEFITPAY_GENERIC_ENROLLMENT</b>.

I can not understand what is the Service Key.

1. Is it a web dynpro service that is available on the backend system? If yes, How to locate these web dynpro services? Is it in "SICF"?

2. If the business logic should be changed for this service, where should I look in (like the Function Modules, BAPIs etc.). I know about Java iviews where each iview will be looking at a RFM in the backend system. I do not understand where to start with modifying the Business Logic or UI elements.

3. Using NWDI, can the business logic be changed, or only the UI layouts can be modified as NWDI is connected to NWDS for development tasks?

4. What is the procedure to modify the <b>source code</b> of ESS web dynpro applications?

I am in great need of this requirement. Please help me to figure out a way.

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by:

minisap..G

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, it depends on how you guys want to do it.

As such to my knowledge there are not much advantages or disadvantages in doing it either way.

(My opinion)I would rather modify sap delivered ones rather than making a separate copy of it and modifying them because during the upgrade you might have to do some extra work in updating all your local copies with the latest SAP delivered code(might be a little hectic).

Good luck.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lakshmi,

Thanks for the clarification.

I rewarded you with points.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.When u import a configuration in NWDS, the configuration of your track and the components are imported into NWDS but if you want to modify any of the DC, then u have to first create a local project for the DC.

2.Didnot understand your exact question but, if you are talking about modifying a DC which has dependencies, when you create a local project in NWDS, all the required development components will be synced.

3. The best way to modify ESS is modify the SAP delivered code.

4.Dont know exactly.

5. Activation will usally take around 3 to 4 mins unlike the import which takes hours.

6.To find the BAPI, you will have to open the web dynpro DC and check under models to see which BAPI is being mapped.

Hope this helps you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lakshmi,

Could we go over the Question 3 again.

<b>3. The best way to modify ESS is modify the SAP delivered code.</b><i></i>

By copying the web dynpro application into a new local project under one DC, and modify it. Is this not a best practice? Are there any problems with this approach? we would like to keep the standard ones as is!

Is there any work around for modifying them without touching the standard ones?

Thanks in advance!

minisap..G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want to modify the Benefits Overview application, firstly you need to import the configuration of the track which has ESS into the NWDS. Then create a local project for the DC that you want to modify(eg: sap~ben). Then you can modify the dc according to your requirements.

Once the changes are done, you could checkin your changes into DTR and activate them.

Based on your requirement, you can modify the web dynpro Dc or find the corresponding BAPI to change.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

Thanks for replying to me. I really appreciate your time and help.

I have couple of questions.

1. When a track with SAP_ESS sca file is imported into "Development" followed by the import of development configuration into NWDS, are all (ESS DCs, ESS Web Dynpro Applications which contains Web Dynpro Components) imported into NWDS? Is that Correct?

2. I am trying to understand: Say suppose to <b>MODIFY</b> one ESS Web Dynpro iview, as per the standard procedure, all ESS the components have to be imported as there is a dependency between DCs and Web Dynpro applications along with liking to FPM.

3. <b>MODIFY:</b>

what is the best way to modify ESS web dynpro application:

create a new web dynpro application in the local project under DC, or

(ii) modify the code in the SAP web dynpro application and check in to DTR?

I do not know whether any overwriting issues will be there in the production

system. From my understanding, with (ii) there is a flexibility to revert back to the old web dynpro iview in production system if the new one is not a better one.

4. is the Software Component Versioning (in SLD) different from source code versioning (DTR)? If not "yes", then ESS Web Dynpro application can be modified without again creating new track followed

5. Does it make equal time to activate the changes (as the time taken for CMS import ). I assume that only changes are checked in. So, it does not take much time to check in to DTR.

6. How can we find the BAPI associated with a Web Dynpro iView. Can we find it in the used models of the iview? or is there any way to find out? As my client did not have NWDI installed, we trying to make some changes through the BAPIs!

Please help me.

<b>Helpful Answers=>points awarded</b>

Thanks!

minisap..G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could any body help me on this. I am still waiting to listen from you.