cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Category Hierarchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts!

I want to activate the product category hierarchy which I already activated in SRM customizing. I plan the following product category hierarchy:

Top-Level: IT

Sub-Levels: IT Maintenance; IT Software & Licenses; IT Equipment

We replicate the materialgroups from backend R/3.

Do I have to create all levels in R/3 and replicate them to SRM or can I somehow create the top-level locally in SRM and assign the sub-levels replicated from R/3.

Any documentation on this would be helpful.

Many thanks for your help which is very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Corinne

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member

Hi,

I recently had a requirement to take the R/3 material groups and load them to SRM. Our material groups form a hierarchy (UNSPSC), and I wanted to group them in SRM so that they displayed as a hierarchy in the hierarchy search. I was having trouble getting it to work as required. I found this thread, and a few similar, where other people seemed to be having a similar problem.

I've solved my problem and it is now working. I'm not sure if this is exactly the answer to the original question - however I thought I'd write it up so that the next person searching can see it and maybe find it useful.

The BADI BBP_PRODCAT_HIER can be used to set up the categories in parent / child relationships. It takes a category as input, and you set the GUID of its parent in the parent_guid output field.

This BADI is called during the initial replication of material groups from R3. It is only called when a material group is new (or maybe changed) - the point being that if you have already loaded your categories from material groups in R3 you will need to delete them and start again. You can use COM_HIERARCHY_DELETE_SINGLE to delete the already loaded categories and start again.

You need to load the material groups in hierarchy node order - meaning you will need to do multiple loads, one for each level of the hierarchy, starting with the highest level, then the second level, and so on until you've loaded all the children. As in real life, the parents must exist before the children.

To do this you need ensure that you dont bring across all the material groups from R3 in the first run - you need to ensure you only bring across those material groups that are the first level of your hierarchy. To do this, you can use the filter function in R3AC3: set a filter on the T023 and T023T tables, so that you only load those material groups you want to bring across on each run.

For UNSPSC therefore 4 runs are needed, the first with filter MATKL CP '000000', then the second run with filter MATKL CP '0000', then MATKL CP '*00' then everything.

This worked for me, hopefully this will help someone else trying to do this sort of thing. Good luck.

Lindsay

yann_bouillut
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for sharing your experience

If you have loaded UNSPSC hierarchy in your backend system (R/3 or ECC), did you load it in T023 and T023T ? If yes, how do you display R/3 search help with hierarchy navigation ?

I asked you that becasue up to know, my customer is using the retail functionnality (transaction WG*) and i would like to switch it to a non retail one.

Kind regards,

Yann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Yann, havent solved the R3 side yet

We've loaded the UNSPSC as material groups in R3, just as a straight load, however we dont have it displaying in hierarchy format yet.

yann_bouillut
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the update.

Would it be possible to mail you as i did activate the badi but have issue with the sorting of the product category under the last node hierarchy ?

My mailID is yannbouillut@yahoo.fr

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Yann

Former Member

Hi

<u>Which SRM and R/3 versions are you using ?</u>

<b>Please go through this -></b>

Suggest you to go through this link which explains how you can reassign and necessary config ->

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_srm50/helpdata/en/43/2022b83fbc2be8e10000000a11466f/frameset.htm

<u>Regarding product category Hierarchy-> </u>

If you are working locally in EBP:

You can use transaction COMM_HIERARCHY to create new hierarchies and subsequent categories.

If you are working with backend R/3:

When you will replicate customizing objects DNL_CUST_PROD1 the R/3 matl groups will be replicated as product categories.

If you are working with CCM:

You can create schema and subsequent categories in master and procurement catalogs as per yr supplier catalogs.

<u>Some related links -></u>

Sample BADI details are also available here.

<b>Related SAP OSS Notes -></b>

Note 872533 - FAQ - Middleware

Note 1017211 - Hierarchical purchasing organizations

Hope this will definitely help. Do let me know.

Regards

- Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi -

What was the verdict about the best way to get product category hierarchy created SRM?

Here, we are replicating product categories from ERP and need to find a way of getting the the hierarchy in place in SRM.

According to SAP OSS it is possible to create a hierarchy in ERP and replicate it to SRM (ref OSS note 369384).

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks,

Jo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lindsay,

I am Abhinandan and i have doubts on the procedure that you have explained above. Do you have any sample document of the procedure to upload the product categories which have hierarchies.

I am doing some asset development work and so it would be great if you help.

Thank You

Abhinandan

yann_bouillut
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Corinne,

I have the same requirement.

Replication of material groups from ECC to SRM

Then BADi activation to create the product category hierarchy and attach the product categories to the hierarchy.

Up to now, i didn't succeed...

If anybody has done it, a sample badi code would be very interesting

Kind regards,

Yann