cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional specification

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would appreciate if you could explain how to write the functional specifications for the ABAP team in order to do the configuration,I am working on pricing and I have to write some functional spec. for the ABAP team. If u can send me some document will be highly appreciated at my email

idrees.syed@gmail.com

Regards.

Idrees

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

To speak at macro level that is at projet manager or at senior levels. The Functional Spec (Specification) which is a comprehensive document is created after the (SRS) Software Requirements Document. It provides more details on selected items originally described in the Software Requirements Template. Elsewhre organizations combine these two documents into a single document.

The Functional Specification describes the features of the desired functinality.. It describes the product's features as seen by the stake holders,and contains the technical information and the data needed for the design and developement.

The Functional Specification defines what the functionality will be of a particulat area that is to be precise a transaction in SAP terminology.

The Functional Specification document to create a detailed design document that explains in detail how the software will be designed and developed.

The functional specification translates the Software Requirements template into a technical description which

a) Ensures that the product feature requirements are correctly understood before moving into the next step, that is detchnical developement process.

b) Clearly and unambiguously provides all the information necessary for the technical consultants to develop the objects.

At the consultant level the functional spects are preapred by functinal consultants on any functionality for the purpose of getting the same functinality designed by the technical pepole as most of the times the functionalities according to the requirements of the clients are not available on ready made basis.

Let me throw some light on documentation which is prepared before and in a project:

1) Templates

2) Heat Analysis -

3) Fit Gap or Gap Analysis

4) Business Process Design

5) Business Process Model

6) Business Change & Impact

7) Configuration Design, which is just 5 % of Total SAP- have different names -

😎 Future Impact & Change Assessement

9) Functional Design (Module Wise)

10) Risk Assessement

11) Process Metrics and Many More-- Which has impact on Business and its work flow

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pl also mail me some functional specs.

mail: <b>Chennaianand_sd@yahoo.co.in</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI rajesh,

Can u please send that functional spec to chandu710@gmail.com in excel format to understand a bit clear as it is confusing.

Thanking you

chan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rough example of Functional Specs. Please map it in Excel & it will give you better clearity. This is Sample for SD report covering Link Between Project System, Sales Order, Delivery, Billing & Accounting Document

<b>Initial Screen</b>:

Fields | Table-Field | Remark | Table Joint

Sales Organization | VBAK-WAERK | Single Selection

Distribution Channel | VBAK-VTWEG | Multiple Selection

Division | VBAK-SPART | Multiple Selection

Sales office | VBAK-VKBUR | Multiple Selection

Sold to Party | VBPA-KUNNR | Multiple Selection | VBAK-VBELN=VBPA-VBELN

Material | VBAP-MATNR | Multiple Selection | VBAK-VBELN=VBAP-VBELN

WBS Element | VBAP-PS PSP PNR | Multiple Selection | VBAK-VBELN=VBAP-VBELN

Sales Order Type | VBAK-AUART | Multiple Selection

Billing Type | VBRK-FKART | Multiple Selection | VBAK-VBELN=VBFA-VBELV & VBRK-VBELN=VBFA-VBELN

Period

<b>Main Screen</b>:

<i>Header</i>

Sales Organization | VBAK-VKORG

Period

<i>Item Level</i>:

Sold-to-Party | VBPA-KUNNR where VBPA-PARVW = AG

Distribution Channel | VBAK-VKWEG

Division | VBAK-SPART

WBS Element | VBAP-PS_PSP_PNR

Sales Office | VBAK-VKBUR

Sales Doc type | VBAK-AUART

Sales Doc No | VBAK-VBELN

Material | VBAP-MATNR

Mat Desc | VBAP-ARKTX

Qty | VBAP-KWMENG

UOM | VBAP-MEINS

Doc Currency | VBAK-WAERK

Delivery No | LIKP-VBELN

Billing Document Type | VBRK-FKART

Billing Document No | VBRK-VBELN

Billing Document Line No | VBRP-POSNR

Quantity | VBRP-FKIMG

Price - Base Price

Price - Service Tax

Price - Education Cess

Price - VAT

Price - Other taxes

Price - Total

Accounting Document Number | BKPF-BELNR

Table Joints at Item Level:

VBAK-VBELN = VBPA-VBELN

VBAK-VBELN = VBAP-VBELN

VBAK-VBELN = VBFA-VBELV (For Delivery)

VBAK-VBELN = VBFA-VBELV

LIKP-VBELN = VBFA-VBELV

VBRK-VBELN = VBRP-VBELN

VBRK-XBLNR = BKPF-XBLNR

• some details are missing, please try to identify & use it as per your requirement.

Regards,

Rajesh Banka

Reward suitable points.

• How to give points: Mark your thread as a question while creating it. In the answers you get, you can assign the points by clicking on the stars to the left. You also get a point yourself for rewarding (one per thread).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you also send me this doc in excel format. thanks

idrees.syed@gmail.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

is there any templete for the functional spec document?

can anyone provide me that

my id mails.sridhar@gmail.com

Regards

sridhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any standard form or format we maintain. and if the answer is yes if u can send me one,

idrees.syed@gmail.com

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

What Is A Functional Specification?

Functional specifications (functional specs), in the end, are the blueprint for how you want a particular transaction or report to look and work. It details what the report or transaction will do, how a user will interact with it, and what it will look like. By creating a blueprint of this first, time and productivity are saved during the development stage because the programmers can program instead of also working out the logic of the user-experience. It will also enable you to manage the expectations of your clients or management, as they will know exactly what to expect.

Why write a Functional Spec?

A key benefit of writing up a Functional Spec is in streamlining the development process. The developer working from the spec has, ideally, all of their questions answered about the application and can start building it. And since this is a spec that was approved by the client, they are building nothing less than what the client is expecting. There should be nothing left to guess or interpret when the spec is completed...and this, in a nut, explains my love affair with the Functional Spec.

The Fucntion specification has the pseudo code of the program,

the logic how the report or transaction should work and what the tables to be used.

It should define the business need and business functionality of the report or transaction and the criticalities if this report or transaction fails.

It should have the work around solution in case of emergency.

What Are Functional Specification in SAP?

To speak at macro level that is at projet manager or at senior levels. The Functional Spec (Specification) which is a comprehensive document is created after the (SRS) Software Requirements Document. It provides more details on selected items originally described in the Software Requirements Template. Elsewhre organizations combine these two documents into a single document.

The Functional Specification describes the features of the desired functinality.. It describes the product's features as seen by the stake holders,and contains the technical information and the data needed for the design and developement.

The Functional Specification defines what the functionality will be of a particulat area that is to be precise a transaction in SAP terminology.

The Functional Specification document to create a detailed design document that explains in detail how the software will be designed and developed.

The functional specification translates the Software Requirements template into a technical description which

a) Ensures that the product feature requirements are correctly understood before moving into the next step, that is detchnical developement process.

b) Clearly and unambiguously provides all the information necessary for the technical consultants to develop the objects.

At the consultant level the functional spects are preapred by functinal consultants on any functionality for the purpose of getting the same functinality designed by the technical pepole as most of the times the functionalities according to the requirements of the clients are not available on ready made basis.

Let me throw some light on documentation which is prepared before and in a project:

1) Templates

2) Heat Analysis -

3) Fit Gap or Gap Analysis

4) Business Process Design

5) Business Process Model

6) Business Change & Impact

7) Configuration Design, which is just 5 % of Total SAP- have different names -

😎 Future Impact & Change Assessement

9) Functional Design (Module Wise)

10) Risk Assessement

11) Process Metrics and Many More-- Which has impact on Business and its work flow

Hope this helps you.

Regards

TAJUDDIN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Email sent.

Regards,

Rajesh Banka

Reward points if helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rajesh,

I also need Functional specification. Can u send same material to my mail id i.e.,

madalaprakash@gmail.com

Thanks in advance,

M.Prakash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh

Does this document that you mail contain the modus operandi on how to write the functional specification ?

If so could you mail it to me at

sgs982@gmail.com

Regards

Siddharth Sridhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Basically it will be prepared for all New Enhancements that comes in the project.

it consists of the Project Details and the person how perpared in the front page.

As a functional consultant we have to understand the requirement from the client and based on that we have to prepare this funtional Spec.Later Functional Consultant will forward the same to the Technical Team to add their comments called Technical Spec,in which the Abapers will give the Technicality of the Requirment in the same and finally it will be sent to Client for Approval.

Functional specification: The Functional Spec (Specification) which is a comprehensive document is created after the (SRS) Software Requirements Document. It provides more details on selected items originally described in the Software Requirements Template. Elsewhere organizations combine these two documents into a single document.

The Functional Specification describes the features of the desired functionality.. It describes the product's features as seen by the stake holders, and contains the technical information and the data needed for the design and development.

The Functional Specification defines what the functionality will be of a particular area that is to be precise a transaction in SAP terminology.

regards

mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sent the mail reward if helps