cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netweaver 2004 installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Trying to install Netweaver 2004 on Redhat Enterprise Release 4 (32 bit). Getting the below error while trying to run sapinst:

guiengine: no GUI connected; waiting for connection on host <hostname>, port 21212 to continue with the installation.

I tried the solutions given on simillar threads, but it doesnt seem to work.

Environment variables are set as follows:

PATH variable includes the path for both sdk and jre bin directories

SAPINST_JRE_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04

DISPLAY=<hostname>:0.0

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

I am logged as root, and when i try to run startInstGui.sh in a different session as mentioned in one of the threads i get the error:

Exception in Thread Main java.lang.NoClassDeffounderror: com/sap/ins/gui/Main

Do i have to create classpath/libpath variable if so what should i set it as? or can it a problem with my jdk version..?

Thanks in advance

AlLan James

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

I think DISPLAY problem.

You can set the environment variables for display.

But i am not sure in linux..IN AIX--export DIAPLAY=<ip address>0.0

Then to check display whether its working or not we will use xclock(then clock will display).

Please check all the environment variables set properly.

please go through installation guide.

Regards

Gangadhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ..

Sorry..the correct enviornment variable is

AIX--

export DISPLAY=<ip address>0.0

Regards

Gangadhar

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, i would like to know abt this scenario, as mentioned in my previous post.......... in the same thread..

"Can i run sapinst on a linux box and the startinstgui on a windows box incase, if i want to use the nogui option............."

and related error that i got! If anybody has a solution for it....

Thanks,

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Finally, I have a solution for the Display Problem:

In order for the installation to work we need to set the DISPLAY variable as <hostname>:0.0, but even when we did set this variable, the installation was not working and was waiting after giving this message:

"guiengine: no GUI connected; waiting for connection on host <hostname>, port 21212 to continue with the installation"

to correct this problem we to make sure that your X server is not running with the "-nolisten tcp" option. If X is running with that option, then it will accept client connections only over UNIX domain sockets, not over TCP/IP. (You can tell by doing a $ ps ax and looking at the command arguments for X ). It will be something like this:

[root@airysoft52 ~]# ps ax | grep tcp

4123 ? R 0:09 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7

You can see the -nolisten option, You can change a setting in its configuration file that will start the X server without the "-nolisten tcp" option:

Config file- /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

Change line:

#DisallowTCP=true

to:

DisallowTCP=false

After doing this ps ax would look like this:

[root@airysoft52 ~]# ps ax | grep X11

4189 ? S 0:03 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth vt7

Once this is done, xclock/sapinst all work fine:

Helpfull Links:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-legacy-list/2005-December/msg00011.html

http://www.jirka.org/gdm-documentation/x1254.html

Thanks,

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can i run sapinst on a linux box and the startinstgui on a windows box incase, if i want to use the nogui option. I tried running it, but i get an error once i log-in and choose the "central instance installation" and click "next", the startinstgui.bat on the windows box exits, and an error pops up on the linux box:

"WARNING Could not read file control.xml. Please make sure that you called SAPinst with the correct control file (the control file is given to SAPinst as its first command line parameter or as value of the command line property SAPINST_CONTROL_URL)"

"ERROR Could not create DOM from control.xml"

Thanks,

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

could you suggest the version of jdk to use. all the documents suggest using 1.4.2 but which version of it is not mentioned. I tried using 1.4.2_14, and the present one that i am using is 1.4.2_04.

Thanks,

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that the note says at least 09 not 10 and you can use anything higher 10 as well. I'd just run SAPinst with the nogui option. See this link http://help.sap.com/saphelpnw04/helpdata/en/67/3f79116155b445b1b76491235448dc/frameset.htm

Even though it references TREX the process is the same. This will let you get away from x windows.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Thanks for the replys!!

ya it might be a problem with the DISPLAY variable. I tried setting it to:

<ipaddress>:0.0

<hostname>:0.0

127.0.0.1:0.0

but when i try to run xclock as you suggested, each time it gives:

Error: Cant open Display: *:0.0

Would you have any idea as to how to rectify this problem?

Also need advice regarding the following error:

Exception in Thread Main java.lang.NoClassDeffounderror: com/sap/ins/gui/Main

Which i get when i run startInstGui.sh

Thanks

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Couple of things. Watch out for the version of the JVM that you are using. That version is not supported. Also, if you want to get away from using x windows you can launch the GUI on your desktop and have it connect to the machine that is running SAPInst.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.You have to set PATH variable also.

Path value should be /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin

2.set display,

use command SETENV DISPLAY IPADRESS:0.0

check if it is working,by checking xclock.

3.Log off and log in again n try.

reward points if helpful............