cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing material's Account Assignment Group on a sales order line item

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anybody understand the rationale for why the material account assignment group is display-only on a sales document line item?

I have since configured the material master so that account assignment group is mandatory, but we have several sales documents already created, containing blank account assignment groups. It seems to me that there should either be a redetermination feature, or the field should allow value selection.

Thanks,

Lee Ann

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Probably because in the ultimate german world, Material Account Assignment iz known before the material is created.

In our ECC system, In a Sales Order - Item - Account Assignment I can change the Account Assignment with a characteristic value which we use to derive the profit segment

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bill -- I'm referring to the Account Assignment Group (vbap-ktgrm), originating from the material master. It is on the line item Billing tab of the sales document.

I recall that at a previous client, about 8 years ago, a prior SD did something to enable editing the Account Assignment Group, but I don't know what he did and hopefully it wasn't a core mod. That was back in 4.0, I think.

My current client is using ECC 6.0.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Identify the list of Sales Order Document without Account Assignment Group. If the number is small & managable, then can cel the Sales Order & recreate the same after modification of Material Master, but if the volume is high, ask the Abaper to code a Program such that it goes into debug mode & populate the Account assignment group of material accordingly or manually go into the sales order in Debug mode & insert the Account assignment group of material.

The above is suggested in view that the Account Assignment Group is in (grey cell) display, even in change mode.

If it is permitting to maintain the Account assignment group of material in sales order & volume is high, then it can be uploaded through LSMW.

Regards,

Rajesh Banka

Reward points if useful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well yes, I know that I can do that, but I'm asking if anyone understands the rationale for why SAP does not allow editing of an account assignment group on a sales document line item, especially (but not limited to) if blank.

Thanks for your reply, though

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did not check at order level, but I am working on a service related scenario (order related Billing) & have noticed that Account Assignment field is modifyable at Billing Level.

Logically, it could relate as such that it is assumed that at Order level, Material Master Data is proper & appropriate & user should not change the same. If user changesthe same without ubderstanding the impact, The accounting Document can flow to wrong G/L accounts.

Regards,

Rajesh Banka

Rewardpoints if useful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru,

Can you explain why Account Assignment Group for Customer in the sales order is changeable while Account Assignment Group for Material is not?

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's just that the account assignment group from the material master is not necessarily the only field that determines the G/L account. You can configure almost whatever you want in revenue account determination, so making a single field display-only to prevent accidental impacts to account determination seems strange.

Although I'm wondering if it were editable, whether changing it would trigger a new account determination. Perhaps SAPMV45A only kicks off new account determination if you add or delete a pricing condition, and it isn't set up to expect a change in account assignment group.

Just thinking out loud. Thanks for your responses.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hi Guru,

>

> Can you explain why Account Assignment Group for

> Customer in the sales order is changeable while

> Account Assignment Group for Material is not?

>

> Thank you.

Good point - that kills the theory that SAP is trying to prevent accidental impacts to the revenue account determination.