cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading ABAP and Java Kernel and Applying java Support packs?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Iam on Solman 4.0 SR2 . I have applied ABAP Support packs over it. Now i want to Upgrade Java kernel and ABAP kernel and apply Java Support packs throgh JSPM over it . Can somebody who has already done it send me procedure of doing tat . i do not know how to do it .Plus for kenel upgrades and Support i do not know wt all files to be downloaded? i need step wise step procedure for doing kernel upgrades and apllying java support packs through JSPM . My email id is reachme.saumya@gmail.com . Useful answers shall be awarded points.

Regards,

Somya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello markus and Pascal,

I hv checked tat document again...................i could not find anything related /helpful ..............neither could i trace abt XML files and where to download them frm..........................................if u could detail things ,i think tat wll hlp out .................else iam really getting confused.........................

Thanks,

Somya

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From document posted on that site (SP 12 Support stack guide) page 11:

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000419192007E.PDF

[...]

Choose Next Step. The third download step is displayed.

c) All required Support Packages are listed accordingly to the selections in the previous steps.

A) Choose Add to Download Basket to add the Support Packages to the download basket,

B) Choose Save As File and on the subsequent screen download the XML file that contains the

Support Package Stack definition.

[...]

What document did you check?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

The document says to follow the path :

Start SAP Solution Manager using the transaction solution_manager and follow the path Change

Management Support Package Stacks Maintenance Optimizer .

I hv just freshly installed SM 4.0 and not implemented Change

Management and Maintenance Optimizer .Then how wll it lead me to this path:

Plz check and confirm.

Reagrds,

Somya

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I hv just freshly installed SM 4.0 and not

> implemented Change

> Management and Maintenance Optimizer .Then how wll it

> lead me to this path:

You need to configure Maintenance Optimizer first, otherwise you won't be able to download anything related to Java (if you go for SP 11).

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a question to everyone.................................through the support package application method ,wll i be able to upgrade ABAP kernel also.......................is there no other method of upgrading abap kernel ..............................................plz revert at earliest.

REGARDS,

SOMYA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somya,

for a double stack system like yours, you can update the ABAP and java kernel with JSPM. Just go to service.sap.com/sp-stacks and download the files, you just have to select the stack you currently have (source stack) and for the kernels and IGS you've to select the right operating system and database. after that, also download the XML file as explained there and save it to the same folder as the patches.

Regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal ,

It wld be helpfil if u could bcom more clear and specify the procedures of doing them as iam new in this area. Iam on Kernel version 7.0 and do not know which files to download,similarly wts the procedure of applyng support packs through JSPM? can abap SPs also be applied through JSPM only........

Revert soon,

Reagrds,

somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

No ABAP SPs will be installed with transaction SPAM (and SAINT for addon upgrades).

For downloading, the link I gave you will direct you so you'll automatically get the right files to download, all you need to know is the operating system and the database, try it out...

for JSPM, here is the help:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/1f/c45b4211aac353e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

there is everything explained, like how to start it, where to put the files and so on...

Regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

i know the link for downloading files but not getting wt files to download .......i tried navigating to tat site service marketplace several times but still not clear . iam on oracle database . If u could specify wt files need to be downloaded and wts the procedure of doing it.................................it shall be helpful...................

Thanks,

Saumya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Is there anybody out there who can tell me wt files to download for upgrading kernel 7.0 on this path :

My companys application components

SAP Solution MAnager

Then SAP Solution MAnager 4.0

then entry by component

then got o solution manager

and then SAP KERNEL 7.00 32-BIT

thern

Windows Server on IA32 32bit (non Unicode ) then oracle and DB independent

I want to know the files to be downloaded for upgrading kernel and the procedure of upgrading kernel. Iam on kernel 7.0 with patch level 80 .Basis and ABAP relaese is 7.0

Requested to revert at earliest.

Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Somya,

Please download below specified database independent and database dependent files for the next level basing on your requirement for a 32 bit nonunicode system

SAPEXE_102-20000961.SAR Kernel Part I (for Basis 7.00) -- Level 102.

SAPEXEDB_102-20000961.SAR Kernel Part I (for Basis 7.00) -- Level 102.

and copy the sapcar.exe file from the exe directory and uncar both the files specified above on to seperate folder.

1.Stop the sap system and take a backup of the exe directory

2.Copy the new kernel files in to the current exe directory and replace all the files 3.Start the SAP System and check the release level in SM51-Release notes

follow the same procedure if your system is Unicode/windows 64 bit by downloading the relevant files

Award points for helpful answers.

Br,

Sri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also please do provide points for earlier posts as i suppose pascal might have provided u some healthy inputs....

sri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody,

I followed the following procedure:

I extracted thsese files in a single folder :

then i stopped the system

Then took the backup of EXE directory . In my EXE directory i hv two folders UC and NUC ,since mine is non unicode ,so i replaced NUC folder with the new folder where i extracted the two files and renamed it as the NUC folder replacing the original NUC folder ,after tat i restarted the server , then server gets stopped ,sapcpe.exe ( Executable copy ) and strdbs.cmd ( database ) processes turn red and give the message that they could not be started and DISP+work .exe (Dispatcher ) process gets stopped .

I have the following questions:

1. Firstly i need to replace NUC folder only with the extracted files na ..................and not UC folder na....................UC folder shld be left as it is na?

2. Secondly both the above mentioned files i shld extract and place them into New NUC folder only na?

3. Thirdly iam not getting y the extracted size of the NEW NUC folder is around 200 MB less than the original size , the extracted NUC folder is only 324 MB in size and the original NUC folder is 565 in size...................it it ok or it shld be of the same size ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bcoz its not working.....................................

4.fourthly Certain folders and files when i compare in original NUC folder and new NUC folder ,in the new one they r missing tat is y its size is getting 200 MB short. The size of the orginal NUC folder is 565 MB and the new one is 324 MB only ,do i need to extract other more files than these two previously mentioned files SAPEXE961.SAR and SAPEXEDB963.SAR..........................or wt ever folder and files r missing ,i shld copy them frm original NUC folder and place them into new one. Plz revert back.

Requested to revert at earliest. plz resolve this issue.useful answers shall be awarded points.

My email id is reachme.saumya@gmail.com .

Regards,

Somya

Kindly resolve this

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somya,

Well, as already told, ABAP and JAVA kernels can be updated automatically with JSPM, no need to touch the files manually at all...

Regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

Plz tell wts the procedure of doing tat through JSPM?

Can u plz give the steps?

Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody,

can anybody help me out with the steps of kernel upgrade through JSPM please.

iam stuck here and struggling, ur help shall be appreciated and awarded points.

Regards,

Somya

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the site

http://service.sap.com/JSPM

there download the guide "SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (2004s): Support Package Stack Guide"

This will explain in detail what to download, where to put it and how to use JSPM. Also check the note mentioned on that site.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

As far as i think and know JSPM allows for application of java Support packs only.............Does it also offer for upgrading ABAP and Java kernel through it....................if yes then i hv checked the mentioned site with doc but could not trace out , iam interested in knowing kernel upgrade procedures for ABAP and JAVA ,if could give the steps it shll be helpful ,

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somya,

just put the SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB SAR files into the same directory as the JAVA SP's (usually /usr/sap/trans/EPS/in) and they will be recognized by JSPM and appear in the list.

Regards,

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

I placed the SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB SAR files into /usr/sap/trans/EPS/in and tried to select all the possible options it proposes for applying new software components ,support pack stack ,new support pack but its not recognising these two files.......................is it for sure tat it works for ABAP kernel also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,plz brief the steps plz........................iam really confused now.

Reagrds

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you download the corresponding XML file too? Check the documentation on http://service.sap.com/jspm, it will point you to the right direction.

You can´t just put those two files in there and start JSPM, it will not recogize them.

--

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Java:

===

It's not recommended to use other kernels for the JAVA stack as those provided in a support package stack and applied via JSPM. Of course you could manually copy them over but you may run into issues.

ABAP:

=====

To patch an ABAP kernel follow Note 19466 - Downloading SAP kernel patches. It's described there where to extract/copy what.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello markus,

I didint get wt u said in ur message under Java ,u meant tat SP stack upgradation done through JSPM is the right way of upgradadtion and diid u mean tatt ABAP kerenl is also upgraded in tat procedure itself along with java kernel ,i know although ABAP sps and plugins need to be applied only through SPAM and SAINt. plz confirm?

Secondly in ur message under ABAP i hv already referred tat note and in the first message itself i mentioned tat through the standard procedure iam facing mentioned problem. plz refer back. Waiting for ur reply.

Regards,

Somya

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> As far as i think and know JSPM allows for

> application of java Support packs

> only.............Does it also offer for upgrading

> ABAP and Java kernel through it....................i

a "Java instance" has also some parts of a normal SAP kernel (enque, msgserver etc.), this is patched through JSPM, if you read the JSPM documentation and download a full support stack, a kernel will be part of it.

f

> yes then i hv checked the mentioned site with doc but

> could not trace out , iam interested in knowing

> kernel upgrade procedures for ABAP and JAVA ,if could

> give the steps it shll be helpful ,

The note I just mentioned DOES explain exactly what to do.

So:

Java: Use JSPM

ABAP: Use the note and do it manually

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hope u didint check this part of all the messages ...........for your information please:

<b>Hello Everybody,

I followed the following procedure:

I extracted thsese files in a single folder :

then i stopped the system

Then took the backup of EXE directory . In my EXE directory i hv two folders UC and NUC ,since mine is non unicode ,so i replaced NUC folder with the new folder where i extracted the two files and renamed it as the NUC folder replacing the original NUC folder ,after tat i restarted the server , then server gets stopped ,sapcpe.exe ( Executable copy ) and strdbs.cmd ( database ) processes turn red and give the message that they could not be started and DISP+work .exe (Dispatcher ) process gets stopped .

I have the following questions:

1. Firstly i need to replace NUC folder only with the extracted files na ..................and not UC folder na....................UC folder shld be left as it is na?

2. Secondly both the above mentioned files i shld extract and place them into New NUC folder only na?

3. Thirdly iam not getting y the extracted size of the NEW NUC folder is around 200 MB less than the original size , the extracted NUC folder is only 324 MB in size and the original NUC folder is 565 in size...................it it ok or it shld be of the same size ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bcoz its not working.....................................

4.fourthly Certain folders and files when i compare in original NUC folder and new NUC folder ,in the new one they r missing tat is y its size is getting 200 MB short. The size of the orginal NUC folder is 565 MB and the new one is 324 MB only ,do i need to extract other more files than these two previously mentioned files SAPEXE961.SAR and SAPEXEDB963.SAR..........................or wt ever folder and files r missing ,i shld copy them frm original NUC folder and place them into new one. Plz revert back.

Requested to revert at earliest. plz resolve this issue.useful answers shall be awarded points.

My email id is reachme.saumya@gmail.com .

Regards,

Somya</b>

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. Firstly i need to replace NUC folder only with the

> extracted files na ..................and not UC

> folder na....................UC folder shld be left

> as it is na?

yes - as stated in note 19466

> 2. Secondly both the above mentioned files i shld

> extract and place them into New NUC folder only na?

yes

> 3. Thirdly iam not getting y the extracted size of

> the NEW NUC folder is around 200 MB less than the

> original size , the extracted NUC folder is only 324

> MB in size and the original NUC folder is 565 in

> size...................it it ok or it shld be of the

> same size ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bcoz its

> not working.....................................

You may have symbol file for the kernel also there. Can you give an example of a filename, that is missing in the new directory?

> 4.fourthly Certain folders and files when i compare

> in original NUC folder and new NUC folder ,in the new

> one they r missing tat is y its size is getting 200

> MB short. The size of the orginal NUC folder is 565

> MB and the new one is 324 MB only ,do i need to

> extract other more files than these two previously

> mentioned files SAPEXE961.SAR and

> SAPEXEDB963.SAR..........................or wt ever

> folder and files r missing ,i shld copy them frm

> original NUC folder and place them into new one. Plz

> revert back.

What do you see in the file sapcpe.log in your instance work directory?

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

JSPM do all for you. no need to do anything by yourself.

/usr/sap/sid/DV*/j2ee/JSPM : then launch JSPM and you will hav the JSPM GUI.

entre the password and apply the stack.

you will have information in the JSPM user guide on How to set up the SP stack directory so the JSPM fetch the files and the xml file from.

Regrards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

When iam applying support packs through Maintenance Optimizer and download files in moving from SP stack 10 to SP stack 12 ,some of the files go to approval list and it says :

<b>Download basket request for update has been processed. Total number of objects added to download basket and available for download 23 . Total number of objects added to Approval List and require approval 20</b>

Why is it so appearing ? when i then go to approval list in download basket 20 entries are there but how to approve them/add them to download basket . Plz revert at earliest.

Regards,

Somya

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You approve them using the maintenance optimizer in the Solution Manager, you need to configure it first and then approve them (see some posts above).

The reason why you see only 20 there and not 23 is the fact, that three of your updates have been published before April, 2nd so it´s not needed to approve them.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

I hv configured Maintenance Optimizer , can u plz tell me wt button is used for approving?

Regards,

Somya

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try the following:

- Start transaction DSWP (or SOLUTION_MANAGER

- "OPERATION"

- start "Change Management"

- Click on "Maintenance Optimizer"

- select a solution (it doesn't matter which one you chose)

- step forward

- step forward

- press on "approve" button

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dolores , Markus and others,

Till now i thought tat maintenance Optimizer is also used for Implementing Support packs but i hv configured Maintenance Optimizer and gone through the complete cycle of it, i found tat this feature is used only for downloading support packs. Plz clarify if iam correct and if it is true?

Tat means we need to apply support packs for ABAP and java through conventional SPam and JSPM procedures only. after downloading them with maintenance optimizer . plz clarify iam correct and revert.

lastly if maintenance Optimizer is used for downloading purpose only of support packs y do we need it really ................we can download it through Download manager only because in Maintenance Optimizer also iam only confirming the files but downloading it through download manager only. Plz clarify.

Plz revert to all these queries and clarify so tat i can reward points and close this thread.

regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Dolores i wrote by mistake ...............................................

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - you are right.

As of now you only need to it to <b>confirm </b>them. Everything else will be done "externally". You don't even need to configure all systems to be used in Maintenance Optimizer, one single system of whatever kind will be sufficient. The patches in the download basked are displayed there regardless, of what system you chose.

Again: yes - you only need that system to confirm those in the download basket - if you don't use other functions (Support Desk, EWA etc.).

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

I raised the last question as:

<b>lastly if maintenance Optimizer is used for downloading purpose only of support packs y do we need it really ................we can download it through Download manager only because in Maintenance Optimizer also iam only confirming the files but downloading it through download manager only. Plz clarify.</b>

i didnt get my reply over :

<b>Y do we need Maintenace Optimizer really ................we can download support packs through Download manager only .</b>

At the end regarding ur last reply :

<b>Again: yes - you only need that system to confirm those in the download basket - if you don't use other functions (Support Desk, EWA etc.).</b>

I didnt get wt u meant by ""<b>if you don't use other functions (Support Desk, EWA etc.)</b>""

Did u mean tat Maintenance Optimizer can be used for other purposes also if we configure Support Desk, EWA etc and if yes wt are those purposes?

requested to revert at earliest.

Regards,

Somya