cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experienced XI developers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings,

I am pretty new in the field. I have just started working in the field. We have a sort of scenario:

( PLC -> Database ) is actually the requirement

However they have achieved this via:

( PLC -> .NET application -> SAP RFC -> Database )

Actually some data that is being recieved from PLC is to be saved in the database after some checks. The developers over here actually built a .NET (VB) application that uses the SAP .NET connector that performs the checks on the data. This in turn calls a SAP RFC that performs the function of saving of data in the database.

Now my question here is what advantage do i get in using SAP XI over here. I think the entire solution can be developed using Java Proxy -> XI -> database. However is there any advantage in doing so from a business point of view to a manager? The checks are pretty simple but are large in number, however they dont require in any case of any advanced functionality from BPM in XI. So i think experienced consultants are better in a situation to answer my question as i cant find a reason to reimplement what is already there. Thank you. Regards.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the only reason why you'd like to build it into XI

is being able to watch all interfaces from one tool (XI)

manager may think:

- ok I will need only one admin that will know how to deal with XI

(and not a custom based application)

- I will be able to modify it easily in the future with any XI developer

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Michal for stating it so clearly. Michal, one more thing, that this .NET application runs on the place where PLC is installed quite far from SAP server. So if there is any maintenance to be performed, the developer has to manually move to that place which actually has quite a cost.

If i am correct, then after SAP XI implementation of the entire scenario, this need would be eliminated. I havent understood Proxies very well, but to my knowledge i sitting here at the server would be able to modify the Java code (getting data from serial port from PLC directly) without having the need to go the PLC location. Am i correct? Thank you.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>Michal, one more thing, that this .NET application runs on the place where PLC is installed quite far from SAP server. So if there is any maintenance to be performed, the developer has to manually move to that place which

this is only organization's problem - we have many tools

that allow working remotely so it has nothing to do with XI

Regards,

michal