cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start WebDynpro - Feeling down and lost

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I started working with webdynpro based on ABAP. Its definately nice and I appreciate SAPs tutorials. But they are just the basics and a lot of things are not described.

How can I create a good tree model? SAP online docu has nothing about it. The How-To paper is just for Java.

How to create a ALV with the possibility to enter data? How to assign the header texts of columns dynamically?

Ok, there are examples in SE80. But there is always one mega application handling every single UI component that exists. And then the examples cover so many topics at once that its nearly impossible to really understand a single detail.

These are the questions and topics I have. Having a couple of years experience with ABAP I am used to the fact that online documentation is more or less useless. I think you agree with me that it might also be a benefit to go through a new development topv the hard way and just try and try and try... Thats what we all are used to and thats why we are as good as we currently are.

But honestly, most of the documentation SAP provides is for me at least useless. I would spend much more time and money and help on those guys who write the How-To papers because they do a tremendous good job.

But how did you guys started with WebDynpro? How did you e.g. managed to create your first tree (dynamic etc.). I still wonder where to create the tree-structure in my program and have no clue what the "context" attribute is used for. Somewhere I have to create the hierachy, assign icons etc. like in the old Dynpro-Tree approach.

What do you think? Have I just not found all the documentation I search for? Do I simply have to spend as much time to understand how tree, ALV etc. works in detail like I did some years before in the old dynpro-world?

Regards, Hendrik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hendrik,

I'm sorry to hear you don't find the documentation useful. There's <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/5f/c8425f3e5042f98ee1840e830ab73e/frameset.htm">this</a> on the editable ALV (see also the sections below) and <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/21/ad884118aa1709e10000000a155106/frameset.htm">that</a> on Trees. We're also working on creating more examples together with documentation focussing on single UI elements or aspects of UI programming, to be published on the help portal for the next support packages.

Regards, Heidi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thanks for you replies.

Maybe SAP has a lack of documentation with examples.

The SAP community has definately no lack of nice people helping and caring about each other and I appreciate every single suggestion or answer I got in this forum over all these years. Hopefully some of my answers where also helpful for people.

I am looking forward to the next years with you and discussing new things.

Regards, Hendrik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hendrik.

I agree with you that reading the online documentation sometimes let more questions come up than it solves.

You asked how we started with WebDynpro. So I just used the book WebDynpro

for Abap of Ulli Hoffmann which is a good entry to get the basic ideas.

Asking questions here helps a lot too.

But my basic approach was the good old try and error method. But I bet there are

still a lot of things that are possible with WD4A I do not event know abaout.

So as Mohammed mentioned just post your questions and a lot of people here

will surely try to help you.

PS: You also should have a look at the <a href="https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/WDABAP">WIKI</a>. Though it is still in the beginning it might worth a look.

<b>Appeal to all</b>: If you find the time pls submit to the WIKI. There are still a lot of open points. If you find repeating questions here please find a place in the WIKI were you could write a short tutorial how to solve it.

Cheers,

Sascha

Message was edited by:

Sascha Dingeldey

mohammed_anzys
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hendrik,

Dont get dissappointed . Post your queires ..We will solve it together.

Thanks

Anzy