cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Host Name

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus

I wanna change the physical host name to logical hostname, while installation we had taken physical hostname and now we are not able to get the sap server in clustering so there cant be failover taken due to use of physical hostname rather than logical hostname.

I have refered to note 8307 that is good but if any one still have a good document to change hostname so that what all impact can happen and can be avoided.

This is an production R/3 Server on Sun Solaris.

Reply awaited.

Thanks & Best Regards

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Changing a host name on a central instance is a BIG thing, I personally would rather reinstall instead of changing a hostname...

What comes immediately to my mind is:

- SAP profiles

- .sapenv* .dbenv* scripts

- OPS$ users

- /etc/hostname*

- /etc/hosts

- TMS (/usr/sap/trans)

- Backup clients (and backup server changes if you use a central backup system)

- RFC destination of external systems

- SAP printers

- other external systems connecting to the server (Fax, Archiving etc.)

I'm sure that list is not complete...

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

Thanks for your prompt response,

yes i would have also prefered the fresh installation but this is an LIVE server.

Can u help out more.

Thanks & Best Regards

Ashish

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The worst thing I could imagine would be, that all the SAPGUIs have a name in the application server field, this name would no more exist so you would need to touch all your SAPGUI installations... or entry a false DNS entry which would confuse other systems maybe...

I have tried this once (on Linux though) and I ended up in a mess so I reinstalled, this was a test system however...

No "document" because requirements may change with each release/supportpackage/database patch..

--

Markus