cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffer Tuning in ST02 Recommendations

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am looking for some advice as to how to change tune my buffers in our application servers. Their current settings are based off of SAP’s, pre go-live checks. But to me they seem to need some adjusting.

Our server has 8GB’s of RAM, so I feel like I definitely have some room to expand them.

What would you recommend I change the values to?

Here is a screenshot of the buffers - http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/20166/2003999813259508481_rs.jpg

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your input.

former_member192350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

10k swaps per day is pretty high, especially for the PXA buffer. I'd definitely increase it if you have enough physical memory; the only impact is that it's going to allocated a larger chunk of shared memory, so if you don't have enough physical RAM to absorb the increase without swapping, you're not going to gain much. 500MB is pretty small for the program buffer these days, but that would depend on what modules you're running. I've hardly ever seen this below 1GB lately, and normally in the 1.5 - 2GB range for ERP systems with multiple modules implemented on a single app server.

The rule of thumb I've used is to try to keep at least 10% free (both space and # of entries). From your screen shot it looks like you need to increase the size of the field definition buffer, program buffer, CUA buffer, and export/import buffer.

Rich

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would also consider 10k swaps per day a high number. In addition to Rich's recommendation, you should also try to implement logon groups for your application servers. The logon groups should be configured so users of a similar type are using the same app server (ex. FI users, SD users, etc.). This way, the swaps can be reduced since the same programs are being used and not swapped out for users of another type.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Basically, u don't need to do any thing here.

We have to see basically , the " hit ratio" only, it should be always above 95%.

Check the following.

SAP Note : 723909 and 88416

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/w lg/3518

Note: Points will always encourage me to reply !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was told that 10,000 swaps per day was considered exeptable.

We are getting more than that in the program buffer.

Does it do any harm to up it?